What is this? w/Picture

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torch404

Reaction score
Maybe we could start an ongoing thread with photos of wine problems as a reference for people to look through.
Let me start ;)

My sister gave me some wine she made off an old recipe of my grandpa's. It's apple wine from 2007. I remember my sister said she stayed true to the recipe and didn't use sulfites etc. Apart from that she's in Iraq so I don't think she can help.

What is this stuff? They are large clumps that move quite easily some are darker. My sister did say she had other bottles of this batch where they got a black gunk at the bottom and went bad. Mine is a year plus older but not black.

sizedDSC02148.jpg

sizedDSC02146.jpg

Looks like fruit (Apple?) pulp. I'd say she bottled to soon and wine not cleared. Why different colors? Could be thats where mold has taken over. I would not drink this.

SIZE]

I had this happen with a pumpkin beer I did. I'd say it was bottled to early and as everyone else said, it's particles of the apple that have dropped. With my beer I was able to drink it for a few months by just pulling the beer off the top of all the gunk. But eventually it went bad; I'm guessing all that stuff starts decaying after awhile.

Thanks, I'll open it this week a see what's what's. Any one else got some pictures to share? Maybe some already identified problems for reference.

Verdict: Still good! Just plup :ib

It seemed very high alcohol although perfectly smooth and warming. That must have help preserve it. Tasted great.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back