Quantcast

What is this? w/Picture

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Torch404

Reaction score
Maybe we could start an ongoing thread with photos of wine problems as a reference for people to look through.
Let me start ;)

My sister gave me some wine she made off an old recipe of my grandpa's. It's apple wine from 2007. I remember my sister said she stayed true to the recipe and didn't use sulfites etc. Apart from that she's in Iraq so I don't think she can help.

What is this stuff? They are large clumps that move quite easily some are darker. My sister did say she had other bottles of this batch where they got a black gunk at the bottom and went bad. Mine is a year plus older but not black.

Tom

Reaction score
Looks like fruit (Apple?) pulp. I'd say she bottled to soon and wine not cleared. Why different colors? Could be thats where mold has taken over. I would not drink this.

SIZE]

winemaker_3352

Reaction score
I would agree with Tom - it does appear to be pulp and i wouldn't drink it.

djrockinsteve

Reaction score
Hold your breath. Open it, barely sample a sniff. Most likely it's drain cleaner.

Noontime

Custom Label Printing & Design
Reaction score
I had this happen with a pumpkin beer I did. I'd say it was bottled to early and as everyone else said, it's particles of the apple that have dropped. With my beer I was able to drink it for a few months by just pulling the beer off the top of all the gunk. But eventually it went bad; I'm guessing all that stuff starts decaying after awhile.

Torch404

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll open it this week a see what's what's. Any one else got some pictures to share? Maybe some already identified problems for reference.

Torch404

Reaction score
Verdict: Still good! Just plup :ib

It seemed very high alcohol although perfectly smooth and warming. That must have help preserve it. Tasted great.

Last edited:

Latest posts