What is this sealant?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesGrape

Reaction score
878A122E-191F-4707-B6E3-AD7031873A82.jpeg Just opend a bottle of wine that had a very pretty sealant. The cork was inset about 1/4 inch. And it looked like some type of greenish resin was added to the top - and given a swirl of inner glittery gold to create a pattern in the resin. Sort of like what you might see in a pricey coffee.

I didn’t think it was wax because it was tough and flexible. It would bend quite bit before it would break, and was difficult to tear. It was stuck onto the top of the cork, but appeared to be applied so that it didn’t quite flow outward to reach the glass.

I tried to google this but all I got was some old patent information.

Is this a product that is available to the home winemaker? It’s very pretty imho.

439F4937-1EEC-4153-B53D-6E87A59FA875.jpeg I try to find out. It’s gotta be a high-volume automated process. Here is a pic of three bottles. The pattern is only slightly different in each. You can see here that the material does not contact the glass.

And it’s a fancy bottle without a paper label. Link below.

Seeing it makes think I could do something similar with two colors of wax. I’m bottling some wine in a few months for a family wedding - I’ll try something similar and post here.

http://www.totalwine.com/white-wine...BJwfttdWKuH-w_i8YXBoCq3EQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back