What is this fruit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started a batch of persimmon wine and soon had a bucket of pudding. They seem to be all pectin.

I agree with the post that says to freeze it-- actually what we do here (north Texas) is wait for the very first light freeze, then pick them. Be careful, because they'll be mushy. But after the freeze, the astringency is gone and they're even a nice treat right from the tree. I haven't tried to make wine from them, but I imagine you won't lose much juice since they're coming off the tree and not from the freezer.

@hounddawg

steaming usually sets the pectin making clearing next to imposable

I use my steamjuicer for wine and mead all the time. I sprinkle in pectic enzyme right on top of the fruit and turn on the burner.
I'm not sure if the steam does something or if the pectic enzyme is even supposed to be subjected to those temperatures, but I've never had a batch not clear.
I even ran my prickly pears through the steam juicer and they are notorious for turning into goo. They gave me no problem.

I have a Fuyu persimmon tree...looks like one in the picture. Mine ripen in November. I pick when they're a beautiful orange color, just before they start to turn soft. Eat like an apple.... delicious! They make the best persimmon jam.... I haven't tried wine yet.

I started a batch of persimmon wine and soon had a bucket of pudding. They seem to be all pectin.

Yup. Tasty pudding though.

I have a Fuyu persimmon tree...looks like one in the picture. Mine ripen in November. I pick when they're a beautiful orange color, just before they start to turn soft. Eat like an apple.... delicious! They make the best persimmon jam.... I haven't tried wine yet.

Fuyu as you probably know is an Asian persimmon, which is a different beast.

Here, in Nebraska, we don't consider them edible until they've hung on the tree until after the first freeze. By then they are mushy, but sweet enough to enjoy.

I'VE NEVER HEATED PERSIMMONS, BUT I DID TRY PEARS ONCE ,, and they never cleared, so I never heated again on anything, but when I got turned on to freezing, I just never tried heating again, I got tons of persimmon trees every where, I just build myself a few blinds with brush, then I eat deer chili, deer burgers, deer cooked with brown beans, I use persimmons only for a natural deer bait, although many years ago I had simmon jelly that was not bad
Dawg

if you don't mind let me know if it is worth drinking

@hounddawg

I use my steamjuicer for wine and mead all the time. I sprinkle in pectic enzyme right on top of the fruit and turn on the burner.
I'm not sure if the steam does something or if the pectic enzyme is even supposed to be subjected to those temperatures, but I've never had a batch not clear.
I even ran my prickly pears through the steam juicer and they are notorious for turning into goo. They gave me no problem.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm trying to find out if a steam juicer can successfully pull juice from a persimmon. My uncle said he made persimmon wine once and it was great, but vowed to never do it again. Why? WAAAAYYYY to much trouble. As others have stated, if you wait until the fruit is ripe, the pulp is the consistency of baby food and is practically impossible to strain. However, I was wondering about the Fuyu variety - it produces a much harder pulp (more like an apple). Has anyone been successful at pulling the juice (or just making wine) from the Fuyu variety? Anyone use a steam juicer on these?

@Jesse Brown , no not yet. We just bought a house last fall though and I'm planning a food forest in the backyard. At some point we will be planting some Asian persimmons, so I'll be following if you decide to go that route. I've finally given up on making mead/wine with American persimmons. It is a TON of work and I never made anything that I thought tasted worth the effort.

I just set a batch of persimmons to ferment. I agree with whoever said that theirs essentially "turned into pudding." I put double the amount of pectic enzyme, still had globs of "jam" form almost immediately.

Latest posts

Back