What is it? What is it worth?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country

Reaction score
This press is for sale at a local flee market. Does any one recognize it? What would it be worth. I would be purchasing more for decor than actual use, but would it work?
Thanks for any insight.

My guess would be that is a fresh fruit press., Without seeing more it's hard to tell. But the fruit gets ground up and then pressed immediately?

Could this type of press be used for apples, pears, plums, etc...?

From this veiw its a press. Im guessing that it has a chopper on the front and the basket pulls out so chop falls in then pushes under to squeeze. The price is fairly standard. Not high not crazy low.

I agree. Apple cider press. The top hopper should have a cylinder at its bottom with a couple of long knives in it. The flywheel is cranked to chop the apples which drop into the basket before pressing. The wooden tray has a hole in it so that the pressed juice can run out into a collection pan. It might be OK for decoration, but I don't think it would be real practical in use. The ones like this that I've used, have the blade geared so that one rotation of the large wheel produces about 8 rotations of the chopper (1:8 ratio). The one pictured looks like to might be at a 1:1 ratio.

Thanks everyone. I’ll see if I can make it out to take a close look. I’ve only seen this same picture so far. I am intrigued, but not really interested if it’s handyman’s homemade project.

There is a fellow local to me that builds a similar unit to that. He sells several each year
$400 ish new. They work well. His copper has a motor. His are double basket so a helper can chop while pressing at the same time.

Have one like that out in the shed.
Works great for apples and pears, can also press grapes with it. Don't think it will press as hard as some of the grape presses, but you use what you have. Arne.

Latest posts

Back