What is ideal temp for fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olusteebus

Reaction score
I see a good many posts about slow to ferment or stuck fermentation. I was thinking of fermenting at a low temp, say 60 degrees Fahrenheit. I understand that fermenting white wines at low temps brings out the fruitiness. Would that work with Dragons Blood?

You have to check the specifications of the yeast you plan to use. Dragon's blood is often done with Ec1118, my memory (which you shouldn't trust) tells me it is good down to around 58. I don't know if it will bring out more fruitiness or not, given that Ec1118 isn't usually thought to do that and there is so little fruit in it to start.

As long as you make sure to get the fermentation going well first you can go down to 50 or lower and it will proceed. Yes it does preserve the fruit aromas better. I start my whites at 70 for 24 hrs and then rack into a carboy and put into the wine cellar. The Riesling that I am doing right now is at 5 weeks with temp between 48-49, the SG is just at 1.000, it will likely take another couple of weeks to finish.

Latest posts

Back