What is going on with my wine????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siwash

Reaction score
I am at my wits end - I think this is really bad flowers? I have So2 and kept things clean.. I have been battling this stuff in a few demis over th epast year, but this is BY FAR the worst outbreak.. What am I dealing with and is this going to result in a lot of wine down the sewer? I hope not...

IMG_1102.JPG

I saw this last night upon returning home late so didn't have time to taste it. I will do so today. I did take a deep whiff of it and it actually din't smell off or bad... smelled like wine! So I am hoping it's fine still.. I have a Vinmetrica and did measure the So2 and added some in late march after a racking.. Unless my measurements are off, I don't know what it is. My bungs might be crappy? I have the traditional rubber (or is it silicone) that snugs into the vessel then I put in the air lock with So2 water.

What is your pH? The higher your pH the less effective so2 will be. Did you use sorbate?

I would recommend a good soak of your equipment in a bleach water solution. Don't forget inside your racking equipment. You could consider replacing it too.

attachment.php

Lots of people use only bleach water as sanitizer.

You have to rinse, but bleach is how I would go about a bulk "zero hour" sanitation of all of my equipment.

http://www.winepros.org/wine101/vincyc-tca.htm

CORK TAINT is variously described as "moldy" or "musty" or "earthy" or sometimes "medicinal" smell that ... either masks or dominates fruit aroma in wine and reduces overall wine appeal.

The source of this odor may be one or more of several particular chemical compounds formed by a reaction between naturally occurring molds and chemicals used in the treatment of wood products.

Ironically, chemicals used for keeping the production environment sterile and safe from contamination become degraded by fungi or molds indigenous to wood products. The main culprit is thought to be chlorine bleach used in cork processing and also as a routine disinfectant in wineries.

So is this wine salvageable or is it going to get worse?

My ph is mid 3s

if you haven't racked it yet do so now.if flowers of wine the top one inch or more of the wine is ruined. try to siphon from the bottom half and do not include the top portion. double sufphite and double check your ph. I would lower to 3.3 if possible.

Latest posts

Back