What is excessive MOG?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLM

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the first time I ever used a crusher. It seems to me I'm getting a lot of stems (cab sauv). Is this standard? Is my crusher not working well? Do these need to be picked out? Thanks in advance for your recommendations.IMG_9871.jpg

I have EXTREMELY limited experience. I have only used ONE C/D. I have essentially no stems in my must.

To wit: I just did a punchdown, and I was like "Oh, there is a stem, let me grab it and get rid of it before it goes under again."

The "stems" you are showing are "jacks". They are pretty normal. Get out what you can easily, but some are beneficial, and make it easier to press. I gradually remove the jacks as I go through fermentation and punch downs, but they are not particularly harmful as long as your grapes are ripe.

Alright, this is encouraging. We had a small stem picking crew to be on the safe side.
Sour grapes, what equipment do you use?

The jacks are a normal home winemaker phenomenon, but you would not see anywhere near that amount of MOG in the higher end wineries I have personally seen. The question is how much of a difference does MOG make? Not sure, but I’ve found that it is the cumulative effect of small things that have made my wine better.

See post #284 on this thread. You will see what the must looks like after a higher end winery does their post destem sort. I was planning on using the post destem sorting chute that I made this season, but I ended up swinging a deal with a winery to destem, sort and cold soak my grapes for me in exchange for some vineyard consulting that I did.

Back