what is a balanced wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

granda

Reaction score
my question is
when is a wine balanced for example a port style wine (sweet and acidic?)
or the higher the alcohol the sweeter the wine but how do you know if you have added enough acid or taken some out to make it balanced,or is it personal taste

I make wine for myself, so I make it to my preferred tastes...

Am thinking your question is more aimed towards a standardised, industry specific, ideal?

If I'm reading your question correctly.. Wade would probably be most helpful in answering you, as he gets invited to judge wine competitions.

Allie

It mainly deals with being true to its varietal. In otherwords, if you are tasting a California Syrah you would expect it to have around 12% abv withna spicy peppery note and a decent mouthfeel to it. Fruit wines is more like you are staing though with trying to equalize between flavor, acidity, and sweetness.

your right wade im talking about fruit wine but what makes a well balanced wine,i know sweetness is personal taste but what about acidity

Im sorry i dont really understand what youre asking here. If you are looking for the range of acidity it should be between .55 and .75 depending on what type of fruit it is and the ph of the wine. There is a fine line between to much acidity (too tart) and not enough (flat)

Latest posts

Back