What I use to punch down

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sage

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I started wine making 7 years ago I was looking for a tool to use for punching down. Found one in my shop. A short handled drywall mixer. It's either chrome plated or SS.

Needed a longer one a few years back and bought a new one with a long handle.

Same type of tools I see advertised but a lot cheaper.

Not sure, but if you find something reasonably priced let me know. I hate to pay $60-100 for a glorified potato masher.

You know, I'd pay the money. I used a commercial potato masher previously and it's good, but the handle is too short.

I got this:
https://morewinemaking.com/products/wine-cap-punch-tool-48-long-small-disc.html

This is their cheapest version of this tool. They even make it in house which is extremely cool. It's perfect for punch downs in trash can type fermenters. You don't need to bend over and it's perfect. Highly recommended. I thought it was a bit of a splurge at first, but worth it in the end.

I made my own punch tool. I love it. After punching it works really well just circulating the wine up from the bottom. Easier than stirring. Pumping up and down without pulling above the surface. Gives a constant “pump over” type flow as you do it. View attachment 51996
Fancy, I need to get myself something better lol. I just used a food grade plastic spoon thus far for my smaller batches that i sanitize with star san.

Worth every penny: https://morewinemaking.com/products/wine-cap-punch-tool-small.html

22245.png

That's a commercial potato masher that you can also get on Amazon. It's what I used previously. It's good and easy to clean up. But if you have more than 1 trashcan at a time, or if you have more than about 12 vertical inches of fermenting wine, it's not ideal. I also removed the rubber grip to make it possible to completely sterilize.

It's a small thing, but not having to bend over at the waist for a punch down when you do 4 40 gallon trash can punch downs is worth having one of the long handled stainless punchdown tools from Morewine.

Look up Marshalltown brand drywall mud mixer. SS for $15-24.00 depends on handle length. Ace hardware had them listed.

Latest posts

Back