What Herbicide do you spray below your vines?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer a glufosinate-based herbicide rather than roundup (glyphosate). One brand name is 'Rely' if you can find it. But there are others. It is a broad spectrum herbicide but, unlike roundup, it is not as systemic and will not kill the roots. It will kill what it touches, but if you accidentally hit a shoot or low leaf on your vine, it will only kill that leaf, not affect the rest of the vine.

I use Gramoxone, with my preemergent it works well....and is relatively safe for the vines....however it's only a burn down....and does not kill roots..
Otherwise Glyphosate....

I plant lawn grass. Mow between my rows. Weed wack around my vines and posts. I need to weed wack it once every 3-4 weeks. Takes about 15 minutes for 25 vines. I don’t think I’d mess with chemicals unless I had acres planted and it was my only choice.

I use glyphosate judicially to maintain weed control. I did try Avenger Weed Killer Concentrate For Organic Gardening this year (citrus oil based) and the results were less than I had hoped for. I did see a recipe using vinegar and Epsom salt, but would like to find some research on this and grapes. Adding Epsom salt to the soil may or may not be what I desire and would need to consult my friend (Dr. Dirt) on this. Burn down would be preferable at times (like now) vs a systemic approach (Roundup).

Latest posts

Back