What happens if I don't sanitize an instrument?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abefroman

Reaction score
What happens if I don't sanitize an instrument?

For example if I took a hydrometer reading and forgot to spray it.

Do you really need to ask this question? The answer is you risk ruining your wine by introducing it to bacteria which in effect will cause an infection.

Keep trying and report back. It wont happen every time but will eventually.

The risk depends on how well it was cleaned after the last use, how it was stored, etc. But there's ALWAYS a risk if you don't sanitize.

The only upside is that you're making wine, not beer. The higher ABV and lower nutrient content both help keep the risk of infections from such mistakes relatively lower compared to beer, which has more nutrients, more unfermented long-chain sugars, and in most cases, less alcohol...

So cross your fingers and hope for the best, it's all you can do! And don't do it again.;)

The risk depends on how well it was cleaned after the last use, how it was stored, etc. But there's ALWAYS a risk if you don't sanitize.

The only upside is that you're making wine, not beer. The higher ABV and lower nutrient content both help keep the risk of infections from such mistakes relatively lower compared to beer, which has more nutrients, more unfermented long-chain sugars, and in most cases, less alcohol...

So cross your fingers and hope for the best, it's all you can do! And don't do it again.;)

Noted, thanks!

I think there are too many variables to guess the amount of risk. I would just keep a close eye and nose on it. If something looks or smells like its going wrong, maybe someone on here can help with some usefull information how to save it. Being a beginner myself, i made a check list i use so i dont miss anything. I am a bit surprised by some of the replies you got, being that this is a beginners area. With the exception of engineJoe, that was helpful..

Last edited:
I think there are too many variables to guess the amount of risk. I would just keep a close eye and nose on it. If something looks or smells like its going wrong, maybe someone on here can help with some usefull information how to save it. Being a beginner myself, i made a check list i use so i dont miss anything. I am a bit surprised by some of the replies you got, being that this is a beginners area. With the exception of engineJoe, that was helpful..

Thanks!

One more question on this, for adding dry ingredients like nutrient, tannin, etc, do you spray your measuring spoon?

on a similar note, how long does contact take with K-meta sanitizer in a spray bottle. I've been spraying it and letting it sit for only a minute or two. Ok, I;ll search for that one.

on a similar note, how long does contact take with K-meta sanitizer in a spray bottle. I've been spraying it and letting it sit for only a minute or two. Ok, I;ll search for that one.

Hmm, I haven't been letting mine sit at all, I thought it worked instantly.

:a1:a1:a1

I was told about 3 min. contact for k-meta to work..Thats what I do. I mix up some in a small bucket and soak my bungs, airlocks , spoons and all...Then a quick rinse in clean water before using..I also wash my hands with antibactirial soap before handling stuff too.

Last edited:
I was told about 3 min. contact for k-meta to work..Thats what I do. I mix up some in a small bucket and soak my bungs, airlocks , spoons and all...Then a quick rinse in clean water before using..I also wash my hands with antibactirial soap before handling stuff too.

Odd, I'd think the water would have some bacteria in it and/or wash the k-meta off and allow bacteria in the air to contact the utensil. I've been giving my a spray with k-meta, and then letting the excess drip off but still be wet.

Or sometimes I spray a sheet pan with k-meta, spray my instruments and the then lay them on the sheet pan, as a sterile tray.

Last edited:
True, dont wash the k-meta off as you are re-introducing bacteria. I think 2-3 minutes is enough and you should be letting it drip dry. For a measuring scoop, I spray, let sit and then wipe dry with a paper towel.

True, dont wash the k-meta off as you are re-introducing bacteria. I think 2-3 minutes is enough and you should be letting it drip dry. For a measuring scoop, I spray, let sit and then wipe dry with a paper towel.

Thanks Wade, good tips!

Yeah, there are some sanitizers you have to rinse with water (bleach, iodine, etc), but K-meta, star-san, 1step and the like do not need it. So don't rinse.

If you do use a sanitizer that requires rinsing, you need to rinse with previously boiled water -- otherwise you can introduce bacteria, as Wade noted.

Iodophor is a iodine based sanitizer that is no rinse.

True, in the technical sense. But some people can (or at least claim to) taste it. I haven't used it in years, but when I did, I couldn't taste it and it worked fine for me. But I have a lot of customers who either don't use it or rinse when using it because they say they can taste it.

Latest posts

Back