What happens if I don't sanitize an instrument?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great info..I only rinsed because the guy who sold me the k-meta said to do so. I kinda thought it didnt make alot of sense..I only see a few droplets on the stuff by the time I go to use it. I cant see how that would harm anything..Much rather add a few drops of sulfites than a few drops of bacteria..I now use a sanitizer called "Sparkle-Brite", I dont rinse at all now. And its much more economical than buying meta-k.:mny

Many winemakers are told to not let sulphites anywhere near yeast so they rinse at the fermentation stage. I did that for years until someone more experienced told me that the small exposure to this level of sulphite would not be harmful. I don't rinse anymore.
By the way, I understood that these sulphites sanitize on contact - is this incorrect?

By the way, I understood that these sulphites sanitize on contact - is this incorrect?
Depends on your definition of contact. From a Univ of Florida web page (http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fs077).
The official definition (Association of Official Analytical Chemists) of sanitizing for food product contact surfaces is a process which reduces the contamination level by 99.999% (5 logs) in 30 sec.

My bolding, Steve

The active ingredient of Sparkle-brite is sodium hypochlorite which I belive is the primary ingredient of bleach. Any chemists out there to confirm? I thought I've read in other forum posts that many winemakers avoid using bleach based products because it can contribute to cork taint. Any body want to straighten me out on this?

What happens if I don't sanitize an instrument?

For example if I took a hydrometer reading and forgot to spray it.

Unless I've miss something here, we're still missing a key piece of information: Was this unsanitized contact before or after fermentation?

If it was on day one with must that had not yet begun to produce alcohol, the danger seems much greater than if it was on day 15 or 20, just checking how it was going. If it's mostly fermented, the alcohol in the wine should mean a hydrometer that was basically clean but unsanitized hardly matters at all.

Jim

Unless I've miss something here, we're still missing a key piece of information: Was this unsanitized contact before or after fermentation?

Fair point, Jim. Pre-fermentation is the most risky time.

On the trying to stay positive side --- even prefermentation, if he used a good, appropriately sized pitch of fresh, properly reconstituted yeast and had it start up and get going quickly, then very often the yeast will consume the fermentable sugars before the wild yeasts and/or bacteria gets much of a toe-hold. Then stabilization can help limit/stop things from there. Still, that's more variables and hoping things go well than I'd like.

Depends on your definition of contact. From a Univ of Florida web page (http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fs077).

My bolding, Steve

I understand from this that their definition of something being sanitized is if there is a reduction of the bad guys by 99.999 % within 30 sec. That's fine but I think the sulphite does it on contact which is well within the 30 sec. But I could be wrong in my thinking so was looking for others thoughts on whether it's on contact or does it need exposure time like some other sanitizers.

Edit - maybe I'm misinterpreting your post, Steve - by contact I mean if I spray my hydrometer with sodium meta, I assume it is instantly sanitized and I don't have to submerge it for 30 seconds in a sulphite solution.

Last edited:
I try and clean everything right before I do any work so I don't forget to sanitize anything that wil touch the must.

Latest posts

Back