what grape is this?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustJoe

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Three years ago I took cuttings from an old (probably pre WWII ) vineyard that was going to be destroyed. No one knew what kind they were but I guessed they were concord since they were over 70 years old and growing in Minnesota. This year they have grapes and I just tasted one and I was shocked to discover that it was seedless. Is it possible that there is a seedless concord or is there another grape that looks and grows like concord? grapes.jpg

I have made wine out of concord grapes for quite a few years. Ferment to dry, and backsweeten slightly and anyone but wine snobs will love it. Ph is in the normal range of about 3.3- 3.4 most years. I also grow Nortons, and being a high acid grape, I blend a lot of my concord with norton at 50-50. Makes a great drinking wine and all the common people around here love it! lol Don't throw them under the bus because of what others tell you, try it and find out for yourself!

After reading the site more carefully, I realized that the 5.5 to 6.5 ph refers to the soil ph for growing them. They are supposed to be sweeter than the seeded concord but still a good wine grape.

Back