What filter pads to use on reds

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuziwk

Reaction score
Are the #2 filter pads suitable for use? I’m attempting to bottle some of my first batches without clearing agents sand I want to ensure there is no sediment in the bottle. I usually use #3 pads with the buon vino mini jet for reds, however they don’t seem to do very much at all, they still let the finer particles of yeast through. I don’t want to filter any of the good stuff out of the wine.

#2 is 1.8 micron, should be no issue. I’ll use 1 micron if needed.

How long are you letting your wines age before bottling? How long after bottling are you seeing sediment?

#2 is 1.8 micron, should be no issue. I’ll use 1 micron if needed.

How long are you letting your wines age before bottling? How long after bottling are you seeing sediment?
Well the ones that threw a bit of a sediment, I used clearing agents but only 1/4 each of chitosin and kliesesol of what they provided. Both were bottled around three months because I needed the carboys. I bottled two higher end kits with the same reduced clearing method roughly 5-6 months, these ones did not throw sediment. All these were filtered with #3 pads which don't seem to do much. The next kit in question is about 6-7 months old with no clearing agents, I'm interested in bottling to free up the carboy. I'm pretty confident the #2 filter pad will take care of it, however I'm concerned the #2 pads will strip the wine. On the flip side though, perhaps the #2 pads will strip the wine less if at all compared to clearing agents would have normally?

Just for the record I don't care about pigmentation and wine diamonds, it's strictly lees that I'm trying to eradicate in the form of sediment.

Last edited:
The wine that I have made that is only 3 months old is still throwing sediment, would not matter if you filter (well perhaps .45 micron it would). I would wait no less than 6 months to let the wine finish doing its thing, have carefully racked a few times and then you could decide if it needs to be filtered or not. Most of the time I will choose not to filter wine when it is clear and cleanly racked.

I thik you are being overly concerned that filtering/clearing strips important flavor and aroma components from your wine. At least with regard to the types of filtering available to homewinemakers. I suggest this article from Tim Vandergrift, who probably knows more about kit wines than anyone else.

http://www.timvandergrift.com/?p=225

I thik you are being overly concerned that filtering/clearing strips important flavor and aroma components from your wine. At least with regard to the types of filtering available to homewinemakers. I suggest this article from Tim Vandergrift, who probably knows more about kit wines than anyone else.

http://www.timvandergrift.com/?p=225

Interesting article, I'm privy to vandergrift...he is pretty knowledgable. So I guess in a nutshell what I gather from all the info you guys provided and this article is 6 months with no clearing agents than filter with a #2 pad. Longer than 6 months is ideal though. My super Tuscan has been racked 3 times already, there is a dusting of sediment but nothing major. I'm thinking about leaving it for another 3 months before racking...so that's 6 months since the last racking, is this fine?. Do I need to add sulfites if I'm not racking?

One thing I learned though is that the course pads are a waste of money, they don't do much really for kits it seems.

Last edited:
The wine that I have made that is only 3 months old is still throwing sediment, would not matter if you filter (well perhaps .45 micron it would). I would wait no less than 6 months to let the wine finish doing its thing, have carefully racked a few times and then you could decide if it needs to be filtered or not. Most of the time I will choose not to filter wine when it is clear and cleanly racked.

Is 6 months without fining agents really enough time to bottle without filtering?

Is 6 months without fining agents really enough time to bottle without filtering?

Not ideal. Or recommended. But sounded like @NorCal’s suggestion was for a “minimum earliest time if you refuse to wait and MUST rush to bottle” type situation.

And for the record- we use to bottle early every year. Sometimes even at 6 months. Some years had sediment. Some didn’t. The old timers didn’t mind it at all then.

Not ideal. Or recommended. But sounded like @NorCal’s suggestion was for a “minimum earliest time if you refuse to wait and MUST rush to bottle” type situation.

And for the record- we use to bottle early every year. Sometimes even at 6 months. Some years had sediment. Some didn’t. The old timers didn’t mind it at all then.

I'll try to push it as far as I can I guess...I only have 10 carboys at the moment. Once I'm ready I'll use #2 filter pads and see what happens. Based on everything I read #2 pads should not strip the wine, I feel better about it as opposed to chitosin and kliesesol if I had to pick one.

Can I extend a racking schedule to 6 months? I've racked three times already, there is fine dusting on the bottom of the carboy but nothing major.
Here are my notes
-06/02/19 racked (1st racking upon fermentation completed), degassed and added 1 tsp cellaring tannin complex, 4G Sulphites, didnt add clearing agents.
-07/08/19 racked from sediment, added 1tsp cellaring complex and 50g American oak cubes 50G
-8/24/19 added 1/4 tsp sulphite and racked.

Not sure why I racked the third time so soon...but I suspect it was to get it off the oak after 6+ weeks and add another 1/4 tsp sulphite ( roughly three months since first sulphite addition)

Last edited:
I age my reds a minimum of 11 months. My whites are sparkling clear after 6 months and I bottle them, which is I quoted 6 months, but yea that would be a minimum.
Ouch that sucks, do you degas with a whip? Do you use bentonite? Even though I skip the fining agents I still use bentonite as I find it helps compact the yeast and saves more wine.
I guess I'm a bit paranoid of bulk aging, I should not be though as I'm testing for sulfites and realistically other than sneaking a bottle to try the higher end kits they dont get drank within the first year anyways. After that I start slowly drinking them.

I'll try to push it as far as I can I guess...I only have 10 carboys at the moment. Once I'm ready I'll use #2 filter pads and see what happens. Based on everything I read #2 pads should not strip the wine, I feel better about it as opposed to chitosin and kliesesol if I had to pick one.

Can I extend a racking schedule to 6 months? I've racked three times already, there is fine dusting on the bottom of the carboy but nothing major.

Can you extend to 6 months- Meaning what?
Concerned with introducing o2 at racking- or with letting it go with sediment in there?
You can whatever you want! Every 3 months just a rule of thumb for preventative maintenance. I doubt any of my carboys are 100% free and clear of sediment dusting— and some are over 2 years old! I don’t view it as a bad thing tho.
And I also have zero concern over whether a racking will hurt the wine. As long as topped up and properly sulphited you are good to go.

Can you extend to 6 months- Meaning what?
Concerned with introducing o2 at racking- or with letting it go with sediment in there?
You can whatever you want! Every 3 months just a rule of thumb for preventative maintenance. I doubt any of my carboys are 100% free and clear of sediment dusting— and some are over 2 years old! I don’t view it as a bad thing tho.
And I also have zero concern over whether a racking will hurt the wine. As long as topped up and properly sulphited you are good to go.

Sorry that's what I meant, extending a 3 month racking interval to 6 months, even though there is a bit of sediment on the bottom. I just don't want any off tastes to develop. I've already racked three times in less than a 6 month period.

Latest posts

Back