What else to plant?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mumazilla

Reaction score
Hi! I have a small vineyard. I have one spot at the end near the post that I just can't get a grape vine to grow. I was wondering if there is any other vine I can plant there and have it look sort of uniform to the 2 tier set up? Maybe Hops?

It wouldn’t be “uniform” but I have heard that some plant fragrant flowers or herbs near their vines. Their belief is that somehow bees spreading pollen will somehow impart those fragrant characteristics to the grape flowers as they move from blossom to blossom. It’s not scientifically proven to work - but it makes for a nice story - and who knows? If you don’t find another vine, doing that could provide you with a reason for not having a grape vine in that spot.

Thank you! I was clearing around the elderberries and found a vine clipping that had rooted. Going to transplant it over there. Not sure what it will be, I have different varieties, but I don't seem to get to them before the birds, anyway. Although, I was looking at a cold hardy kiwi vine...perhaps into another spot. I have plenty of space to plant anything.

I once considered rows of elderberries next to my grapes and was advised here that there are disease concerns in doing so. I have no references to cite to back that up.

Tried hardy kiwi here in Missouri once and couldn't keep it alive.
Climbing hydrangea is a slow grower but is a freakin' awesome plant. Not sure how well it would grow on a wire.
There are some gorgeous Lonicera (Honeysuckle) varieties that would work.
If it were me, I'd try one of the hardy Passiflora (passionfruit).

Missouri has some different climate zones. Chokeberries (aronia) do well in Missouri. I have elderberries close to my muscadines, but they're not very susceptible to diseases.

Roses make the rows look very complete and accomplished but then you have to figure out how to keep them from dying off every year. I go to the garden shops at the end of the summer and ask for bargains to get their product out the door before winter. Sometimes it works.

Latest posts

Back