What does everyone want?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
So what do we want here?
Do we want more signature lines?
Do we want 1 line sig lines for everyone?

NSwiner

Reaction score
I vote i line but if you want more for those who do more work here is no problem with me . i'm sure you put more time into this then we ever see .

kiljoy

Reaction score
Man, I had enough trouble coming up with one line, let alone 10!:d WHatever you guys decide is good with me...

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
I really don't care either, but I voted for 1 line. I like the signatures in a forum, it is away to express yourself. Anything more than that is just goofy. We need the server space for one thing, and secondly, I really don't feel you need to express your beliefs in your signature line. I will go with whatever the ADMIN decides. But I am curious why you brought this up Wade? Problems?

Troy

wyntheef

grunt
Reaction score
this must be where I'm supposed to explain 'other'.

I personally don't have any problem with whatever people put on their siggys.
Like Troy said, it's just an expression.

Steve

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
WMT Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I like to read everyones quote because I always put one on my labels. I rarely read all the wine that people are makig though. It really does not matter to me one way or another. Someone suggested another link for where we are all at for what we have made or making.

AlFulchino

Winemaker of 30+ years
Reaction score
thank you

I really liked that you asked members what they would like/prefer. It shows the intent of the heart. I will go along w what everyone wants. I am easy to please....this is a bandwidth/versus sharing who you are in wine making issue. If the Sig lines are too small it forces people to go to everyones profile...to see what wines they are making etc....that is not going to happen so it restricts communication because who wants to be checking everyone's profile..not me...they have to stand out before i do that..on the other hand 8, 9, 10 or more lines is a space issue on the screen...and i have done that, so i know there is no need for it......i would see 4-7 lines as reasonable..it allows a user to say whats at the top of what they are doing in their wine making life...you can show plenty of the names of the wines you want others to know you make etc....and if that list is real long then they can end their sig with,,," for more wine that I make, click here(profile etc)

So i am going to vote for six lines just to put a number on it

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Troy, yes there was a problem in which I and a few of us went a little overboard on a thread I deleted so as newcomers wouldnt see this petty problem, I for one was not proud of my action nor the whole post in general. The post was a petty complaint in which I over reacted to due to having a very bad day due to too much bad news over the past few days that was just building up inside of me. I didnt delete the thread which actually turned into 2, I did so to keep our site looking a little more professional like it used to! This is also the reason I deleted that "other post" awhile ago which people keep bringing up! That decision I still stand proud of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This poll will stand for 10 days, if anyone thinks it should stay up longer then please tell me so and I will adjust the time, There is no way for anyone to vote twice including me or my mods to favor it unless they have multiple IP addr's and multiple user names and email addr's.

sjo

Reaction score
I voted other, meaning what we had was fine with me. I for one did like to see what wines people had going. This is a wine making forum why not post what you are making if you wish? Come to think of it I have nothing listed but I do have some colassol failures in the works.:(

kiljoy

Reaction score
This may be simplistic, but if people really want to list their wines in process, they can put more than one on a line. 10 wines could probably fit in 3 lines instead of 10.

E.G (1 gallon apple, 6 gallons mango-passion-guava-kiwi, 200 gallons snow)

I did go back and vote for 1 line though. Signatures are just bells and whistles I could live without. Since it was there, I used it. But, my life would not be ruined without it. If anyone wants to know what I have going, they can ask.

kiljoy

Reaction score
Oh, one other suggestion. If you want to keep people abreast of your brews, create your own web page and update periodically. Then list the link in your one line signature. You will notice that Luc does this among several others. That way we save on server space and we get to show off our stuff. Cheers!

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
This is great, we have an even # across the board!

TheTooth

Reaction score
I voted other because it really doesn't matter to me. I'm just glad to see cooler heads prevailing this morning. I hope things get better at work for you soon, Wade. Actually, I hope the economy turns around soon so that many displaced people can get their lives back on track.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
No politics here please, this economy sucks for just about everyone. especially everyone in the building trade and I for one agree with Tooth and hope this turns around fast for all of us but really dont see that happening for a long time if ever. I just hope it doesnt get any worse!

djrockinsteve

Reaction score
As mentioned before I like seeing what's being made. This past season I made 80 gallons of wine and each season I make several different wines. I love it, as does my wife and friends.

I joined to learn and contribute knowledge if I can. I have always done things different than most and have always been successful. This forum is a valuable source of knowledge from all over the world.

Thank you everybody. Let's keep learning and making wine!

smurfe

Reaction score
I don't want people to think there is a bandwidth issue with Sig lines, it is just text. Bandwidth issues mostly come with stuff like pictures, animated avatars and stuff like that. Yes, text adds to it but not anywhere near what one would think. I personally could do without them but they do add an individuality to a forum which in reality I do like.

I don't know what our bandwidth ration are but I really doubt we come anywhere close to it. If you truly want to help keep the forums clean though, delete old private messages unless they have some importance, host your pics off site like on Photobucket, Flicker, etc. These things don't help a lot with actual bandwidth but will help with used disk space on the server which can slow a site down even more.

In all honestey to, I dodn't even know we had a "line" limit for sigs. I actually thought we had a "character" limit meaning the number of letters in the section. While I personally don't care for long detailed signatures as it is a pain reading on mobile devices which I have to do a lot due to work constraints, it isn't a big deal here at all.

AlFulchino

Winemaker of 30+ years
Reaction score
i used the word bandwidth and probably should not have...what i really meant was the amount of square inches given up on a computer monitor when we see each line only showing one wine item....

ie:

2008 this
2007 that
etc
etc
etc

it should all be horizontal

2008 this, 2007 that, etc etc etc

kiljoy

Reaction score
Ah, you meant real estate:) Or is that screen estate?

Sacalait

Reaction score
I voted other because I don't care one way or the other. I seldom read what others have going anyway. The sig. lines are just a way for the poster to beat his own drum or do a little bragging.