What do you think?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricky2Guns

Reaction score
The first picture is my Thompson vine, I’m using the basic VSP set up. I’ll be cane pruning to 2 buds right after last frost. I’m soliciting opinions on the second picture. It‘s a Cab-Sav, I’d like to bring the “head” up closer to the lower VSP line as with the Thompson vine. The red line in the picture shows my proposed cut. The green checks marks are the proposed canes to grow into cordons, the blue lines are the proposed direction to tie the canes to the cable. Now for your input, I appreciate any feedback.
AB5A0CE5-D694-430A-B752-4A000FA5483F.jpeg
6337F8D1-50D3-4C22-967D-6C580874473A.jpeg

From what I understand every cut, especially large cuts are potential for crown gall. Also the wound healing will restrict sap flow around the cut. If it was mine, I would leave the head in place and go with the two cordons that you have.

I'll let more experienced pruners weigh in. I may be completely off base.

Looks like I’m gonna need it. The vineyards around here started pruning so I followed their lead. Then all of a sudden we got weather that we just dont get here in El Paso. If you’ve heard the news they talked about Texas getting hit in places we never got it. That includes my town of El Paso. Temps dropped below freezing for at least 3 days in a row. All I have to say is that unlike the vineyards, I don’t make money off my grapes.

How you looking Lando?

My Vines are looking pretty good. I Already had them pruned a few weeks back. I usually prune my vines late January or early February. Like you said, @Ricky2Guns I don't make money off my grapes, So I'm not trying to be Super Efficient or anything, if I pruned back to a few dead buds, oh well. But Yes temps Here in North Central Texas were unbelievable. My place got down to -3 Fahrenheit not including wind chill. I haven't noticed any cold Damage on my vines yet. Overall, I think i'm looking forward to a good spring bud burst and hopefully we don't get any late freezes.

Back