What do you put in a airlock?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mollie

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm making my frist batch of wine. I seen a few people put sanatizer in their airlock but then I also read that you should only use water. Is one better to use then the other? I am brewing my wine in a "fastferment". I don't know if that makes a difference on what I should use

I only use a kmeta solution. Not sure why you should only use water. Water is just an option, along with others. Like the above poster said; vodka is an option, too. I used water when i started, but realized since i will be bulk aging a while, that something rather than just water is a better idea.

There is nothing wrong with using just plan ole water, that is all I use, just make sure you change it weekly but for long term aging I use the waterless airlocks.

I use just water during secondary fermentation when I'm paying close attention to the wine, but for long term aging I'll use k-meta solution since I tend to forget about them for a while.

And just as a word of friendly advice, don't forget to check the levels on a regular basis when bulk aging. I've lost at least one 5 gallon batch to oxidation because I forgot to make sure the airlock was topped up.

As u can see it is a personal preference - Just make sure that the airlock is full of some sort of liquid, or not to worry it it is an airless air lock ( I personally hve not tried them yet )

I have bought a twin bubble airlock.. Are they good??

They work fine. I use a cheap rum in mine. If they pull the liquid back in a bit of rum does not hurt anything. Seems to take longer to evaporate than some other liquids. Might just be my imagination, tho. Arne.

I've been using kmeta in the airlock during the initial lees fallout immediately after Xfer from primary. After a couple vacuum splash rackings to clear off the sediment i'll be happy that it's degassed and ditch the airlock for a headspace eliminator.

I usually find dead fruit flies in the airlock so like to prevent it from pulling back in to the wine but whats a couple dead flies among drinking buddies anyway?

Cheers!
-johann

And you thought those gigantic casks and cockeyed bottles dusty and cobwebbed in the dark/dank dungeon-like caves were unattended for years!!! Well a little known factoid is that the rookie Monks of those days had to work their way up too!! We're not quite to the "ferment-and-forget level even yet....

Put me on the KMS bandwagon.
Not because I seek out KMS, knowing that the KMS' effectiveness has long evaporated shortly after I've poured it out, but because in my winemaking corner that I have a big jug of KMS on hand at all times (and a squirt-bottle of it) so it's the easiest.

Used to use water but switched to vodka.

First... Welcome to the forum!

I've used both water and k-meta solution. Mostly k-meta because I generally just spritzed the airlock with solution and that's what I have right in my hand so I just spritz into the 3 piece airlock to fill it to its proper level.

For bulk aging I've been using Saran Wrap and a few rubber bands.

Wow thanks for the replys! So does it actually make a difference to the wine if I use vodka, water or the cleaning solution?

The goal is to keep the air out and provide a sanitary condition for the wine. It can be achieved a number of ways. If you use plain water, I would change it out on occasion, to avoid things growing. The other alternatives provide the oxygen barrier and combat things growing.

Makes no difference to the wine. Just monitor it and make sure the airlock doesn't go dry.

Latest posts

Back