what do you HATE the most about wine making?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've stopped labeling wine that is for my consumption. I use to do it as I was proud of my newly found accomplishment. The bloom is off that rose. Now I'm wondering if I should just pour it into the glass straight from the Carboy (or should I call it the 6 gallon wine decanter). :D

I notice that many have this as a hated task.

Let me ask.. If you hate label removal, then why do you apply them? I know that if you are using recycled bottles, that the labels need to initially come off, but why put another label on after that (especially if you plan on reusing the bottle over and over again)?

I never label my wine. Normally, I keep my wines in my "diamond cube" wine rack that holds 5 cases per cube. I use bottleneck tags to I.D. what is in each bin. The most I do is to write a letter (e.g. "M" for merlot or "PS" for petit sarah) on the top of the cork if I am gifting (so we can tell them apart).

I like JohnT -
Dont like to scrape off labels - so most of my bottles we use a paint pen and it comes off very easy

Removing wine labels....

This is how I see it. Think outside the box.

If you are not selling your wine, and are not bound to labeling laws then consider any number of creative solutions (list not exhaustive):

1) Just get a larger label and paste that over the exiting label

2) Get some sandpaper, and just distress the old label. Then use a string label such as

31oNzjuGloL._SY300_.jpg

with your design draped over the bottle neck, and some sealing wax to fix the string in place. Some creative wording like "Old Joe's Barrel Wine, Prohibition Style" and an old timey looking paper (burn the edges a little) for the label to enhance the effect.

3) Just do a so-so job to remove the label then use a grease pencil to write your wine's info on the bottle. Similar to option 2 above, to give that "distressed look". The paper and glue left from the old label is then a feature, not a bug. ;)

4) Just buy new bottles for the wine you give to friends. ;)

5) If you just drink your own wine, who cares what the old labels are or if they are still on the bottles? Just use option 2 or 3 so you know what is in the bottle.

Side note: Options 2 and 3 make your wine look more aged than it probably is. Nothing wrong with that. :)

Last edited:
Darn MLF, can't get one to finish no matter what. After 3 months i gave up on some of my California wines, the other are over 3 months and still not done. I followed every step to the letter too. What grinds my gears is I had 3 batches now that had spontaneous MLF happen after a year in the carboy. Frustrating.

Darn MLF, can't get one to finish no matter what. After 3 months i gave up on some of my California wines, the other are over 3 months and still not done. I followed every step to the letter too. What grinds my gears is I had 3 batches now that had spontaneous MLF happen after a year in the carboy. Frustrating.

Try coinoculating with VP41, my wines are typically taking 4-5 weeks from starting AF and MLF, to completion. It’s a breeze.

I hate a few things, but most of it boils down to not being able to upscale and how much you CANT work with it while making it. If it were up to me I'd be punching caps all day, testing and experimenting with it all the time. Reality is most of the time is aging. If I could match my income I'd quit work and do it full time.

I also hate that I'm hit and miss with wine, and I truly love the process and craft behind it. I'm disinterested in beer pretty much, but it seems like I have to deliberately try to mess up the beer to go wrong.

Not so much a hate, more of a *sigh* - I've recently learned that NZ licencing laws mean that if I want to share my brew with friends in any shape or form (e.g. take a bottle round to a board gaming session; give one as a 'thank you for having us' present), I have to be fully licenced. (including inspection of the brewing area, keeping full accounts of everything, and, of course, paying duty)

So - it looks like me and my husband (no licence needed for immediate family...) are going to be drinking a lot of wine...!

Not so much a hate, more of a *sigh* - I've recently learned that NZ licencing laws mean that if I want to share my brew with friends in any shape or form (e.g. take a bottle round to a board gaming session; give one as a 'thank you for having us' present), I have to be fully licenced. (including inspection of the brewing area, keeping full accounts of everything, and, of course, paying duty)
Well I doubt you’ve never gifted a bottle in the past. This is appalling. We do not condone criminal behavior here. :)
Enjoy your game night and keep your mouth shut! If anyone rats just point him out to us. The last snitch from NZ ended up shark food.

Yes, we from Jersey know how problems can just disappear.. LOL

Seriously though, it is so sad when government curtails a person's freedom.

I feel for ya.

p.s. I have to ask, if you gift a bottle to a friend, and you get caught, what is the penalty?

Well I doubt you’ve never gifted a bottle in the past. This is appalling. We do not condone criminal behavior here. :)
Enjoy your game night and keep your mouth shut! If anyone rats just point him out to us. The last snitch from NZ ended up shark food.

Me? Gift bottles? <innocent whistling>

We have had sharks in the region recently... https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/348244/harmless-sharks-spotted-in-wellington-harbour

p.s. I have to ask, if you gift a bottle to a friend, and you get caught, what is the penalty?

I can't find the legislation now (like all govt websites, if you don't know the exact keywords to search, you get pages of rubbish...), but I think it's $3,000 per bottle (just over $2,000 US), confiscation of equipment, plus a criminal conviction which would probably lose me my job and make it significantly harder to get a future in my industry.

So - whilst it is highly unlikely that anyone I hypothetically gave a bottle to would complain to customs & excise, and it's not like I'm creating on a scale that would make anyone want to come snooping, the penalties are just not worth the risk!

They are serious about people not paying their tax on alcohol!

Admittedly, all the news reports I can find are about people being prosecuted for onselling products from their home stills (also legal for personal consumption), but the penalties apply to all forms of home brew.

Latest posts

Back