what do you HATE the most about wine making?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was label peeling, but I stopped putting labels on every bottle, only putting labels on bottles I give away now. Just marking tops of corks with batch #'s.

#1 is definitely patience with aging.

I don't hate anything.

But, of course, there are a few tasks that could be more enjoyable, especially If I got some better equipment and tool upgrades. Which will be fun. New tools and equipment to play with. ;)

The only thing I dislike is not being able to try all of the new varietals and blends that we discover every year.

My oldest daughter helps me with cleaning and bottling, so it doesn't matter if it takes longer because that just means more family time with her.

So many on the list of wines to make, so little time and money!

My oldest daughter helps me with cleaning and bottling, so it doesn't matter if it takes longer because that just means more family time with her.

I like that thought.

I am not a "car guy" but my father was. And I would often just sit out with him when he worked on his cars, and hand him tools when he was under the car, just to spend time with my dad.

It was label peeling, but I stopped putting labels on every bottle, only putting labels on bottles I give away now. Just marking tops of corks with batch #'s.

#1 is definitely patience with aging.

Only labeling bottles you give away is a good idea. Although I've been using the "Label Making Paper" which comes right off and creating my own labels. They're not as professional as some I see and I'm not the greatest with the graphic software so it sometimes takes me forever to create them.

Needing a floor corker instead of that hand corker. That, and peeling labels for bottles rather than buying new.

Label removal, bottle cleaning, and I hate it when I put on my own label and it's crooked ... ugh.

testing and racking isn't that fun... especially when you have to check s02 every couple months... of course cleaning/sanitizing is a pain..

Oddly, I kinda enjoy doin all the lab testing.

But Hearing the words “I feel like I have to compete with the wine for your attention!”
Or
“How much longer are u gonna be down there?”
Or having to explain the importance of a primary fermentation every single time!

Welcome to the forum triple B. This is like a personality test - I can't decide! I simultaneously love and hate about all aspects of this hobby - what does that say?

I had a yellow jacket wasp in a bottle the other day.

Bottling wine in the garage later summer has its downside. :(

I don't like the fruit flies -

As for all the other issues , I developed alot of my products because they were all a pain until I decided there has to be an easier way.

Not a hate, but an irritation:

Not having enough space to make everything that I want to! I don't mind the whole patience thing once they are getting going, it's just that I've got plans for the next three or four different batches, and I've only got one fermenter barrel, one 23l carboy, and three 5l ones (and only kitchen floor space to play with).

That and not having enough space to store the empty wine bottles whilst I'm waiting for a batch to be ready to bottle - I *know* I'm going to need them all once the elderflower, blackcurrant and mead are done, but trying to find places for them where we (a) don't trip over them and (b) they won't make a massive mess if we have another earthquake is getting very difficult!

Label removal.....

I notice that many have this as a hated task.

Let me ask.. If you hate label removal, then why do you apply them? I know that if you are using recycled bottles, that the labels need to initially come off, but why put another label on after that (especially if you plan on reusing the bottle over and over again)?

I never label my wine. Normally, I keep my wines in my "diamond cube" wine rack that holds 5 cases per cube. I use bottleneck tags to I.D. what is in each bin. The most I do is to write a letter (e.g. "M" for merlot or "PS" for petit sarah) on the top of the cork if I am gifting (so we can tell them apart).

Latest posts

Back