what do you HATE the most about wine making?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being too cheap to buy bottles; scraping labels from bottles and/or removing old glue is real drudgery.

Removing labels. Except from kit wines. Those come off quite easily. Mine, however, do not.

I just bottle up 25 of Apple Wine, and cleaned 30 for the Oregon Grape wine to be bottle tomorrow. My hands are nearly frozen, and I was able to wear gloves during some of the process. :(

My labels come off ok , it's the commercial ones. Both front and back make twice as much work.

I just bottle up 25 of Apple Wine, and cleaned 30 for the Oregon Grape wine to be bottle tomorrow. My hands are nearly frozen, and I was able to wear gloves during some of the process. :(

How did your hands get nearly frozen? Were you bottling outside?

Get a tropical fish tank. Then hire the neighborhood kids to catch them and feed them to the fish. My neons are very happy fish and my kids feel like they are helping the wine making process, which they are.

How many fruit flies per 1c?

1. All the cleaning and sanitation, but it's critical part of the process.
2. Bottling which for me is by far the messiest step and the only step I have real trouble doing by myself. (thankfully I have someone that helps me bottle!)

I don't like the fruit flies -

As for all the other issues , I developed alot of my products because they were all a pain until I decided there has to be an easier way.

I don't like the fruit flies -

As for all the other issues , I developed alot of my products because they were all a pain until I decided there has to be an easier way.

Okay, next on your agenda. Rapid aging of wines because it's a PAIN waiting two years for my reds to be ready! :)

Okay, next on your agenda. Rapid aging of wines because it's a PAIN waiting two years for my reds to be ready! :)

Funny, I used the feel the same way. Now, I look at the three carboys in the wine room that came out of the barrels months ago, labelled "Ready to Bottle" and love the fact that they are still in glass at 14 months old!!!!!

Funny, I used the feel the same way. Now, I look at the three carboys in the wine room that came out of the barrels months ago, labelled "Ready to Bottle" and love the fact that they are still in glass at 14 months old!!!!!

I feel the same way as Johnd - Once you start making more wines than you can drink - then they get a chance to start aging.

I feel the same way as Johnd - Once you start making more wines than you can drink - then they get a chance to start aging.

This is absolutely true. It takes about a year of going nuts making many many kits to get ahead of the curve, but once you do six months, nine months, a year in a carboy is no big deal. Assuming of course you have invested your 401k into carboy and barrel companies :h

I HATE REMOVING LABELS!

So I started thinking and tried a new method that looks promising.

Take a soaking wet paper towel that covers the wine bottle label and place the whole bottle in the microwave on high for exactly one minute.

Label peels right off if it's one that would slip off in the OXYClean bath and with a minimum amount of persuasion if it's one of those that is usually a little more stubborn.

Still working on an easy method to get the residual glue off.

Latest posts

Back