What do you drive.....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riledup5

The Wiser You Get, The Less You Speak
Reaction score
My current car, 2017 Nissan Murano, will be out of compliance with company guidelines at the end of 2021, so I have to get a new car by the of of the year. I'm going to stick with an SUV/Crossover style. Ive really enjoyed the Murano. It's comfortable and reliable. During non-Covid times I drive about 35k miles per year. I was thinking Infiniti or Acura MDX. What do you drive that you'd recommend?

I maintenance and keep my cars a long time. My bride has a 2000 Acura TL with less than 90,000 miles and I have a 2003 Acura RL with about 140,000 miles. They both run great and get us safely from A to B and that is all I ask. With our relocation to Florida, we plan to sell the TL before we move and trade the RL for something well-maintained and about 2-3 years old once we are in Florida (and we will buy a golf cart).

I used to be into pre-war Packard's and over the years I have had a '33, '35, '36, '38, '39 and a '40. I enjoyed driving those cars more than a modern car. I loved the simplicity of maintenance and discussing them with strangers when I was out.

He are a Honda family (Civic x2, Accord, Oddessey x2, Pilot). We buy used and new. In 2015 we bought an MDX new. We wanted another Pilot, but the shape was really ugly. The MDX has been an excellent car, with 0 problems in 75K miles. However, if the current generation Pilot, which came out in 2016 were availabl, we would have preferred it. Better fit and finish (Door gaps, plastic pieces lining up, things not being straight...). Less showy things and more utility.

My daily forever has been an F-150. Currently a 2014 with 125k miles. The drive is as good as a car, 17-18 mpg overall and can carry a macrobin or tow a horse trailer.

My daily ride is a 2006 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 with 210000 miles. Toyota put in a new frame a while ago , new rear leaf springs and new brake lines all under warranty. Fantastic service. It runs great looks good to no rust where Ford and GM trucks typically rust out. Previous owner took it the dealer for every scheduled maintenance.
my wife drives a 2014 Subaru Outback, nice car but a little small for me.

My daily ride is a 2006 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 with 210000 miles. Toyota put in a new frame a while ago , new rear leaf springs and new brake lines all under warranty. Fantastic service. It runs great looks good to no rust where Ford and GM trucks typically rust out. Previous owner took it the dealer for every scheduled maintenance.
my wife drives a 2014 Subaru Outback, nice car but a little small for me.

My wife drives a 2014 Subaru Outback, nice car but a little big for me ; ) just teasing. Every year the outbacks get bigger, my ski buddy has a 2018?ish, it seems huge.

My wife drives Fiesta ST. She is a small car person. It was shockingly hard to find a nice small car. I've got a subaru imprezza, it goes from a to b, and with snow tires it is great heading up hwy 210 to the ski resorts, but unless you need AWD and are cheap not sure I would recommend it.

I've got a 2011 Outback (V6) that we bought new in the summer of 2010. Zero problems and 120k miles. We just traded my wife's 2007 Honda Pilot for a 2021. The Pilot was also pretty much issue-free for 13+ years. The Outback is definitely sportier and more fun to drive, while having a decent amount of space (I can easily fit 15 lugs of grapes in the back). The Pilot is a very nice car without breaking the bank. I'd highly recommend both, with the deciding factor being the size that fits your needs.

Me: 2021 GMC Yukon Denali Duramax. Like flying a small plane. Neck snapping torque off the line, incredible ride, good on mileage. Wife: 2018 Equinox, wonderful SUV. Son: 2000(!) GMC Sierra Step side Z71. Other than a little rust on the wheel wells, salt pitting on the wheels, looks factory new

Our fleet:
The "new" car: 2015 Subaru Impreza
My car: 1995 Honda Civic Si (Purchased 20 years ago.) Starting to get a little long in the tooth. (Not sure why @gamble put an exclamation point after the 2000. :D )
Our toy: 1999 BMW 3-series convertible, into which I swapped a Chevy LS1 V8.

I drive a 2013 F150 4x4 that I got 2 years ago. Last one lasted me 15 years. We just traded wife's 2015 Outback for a 2018 Forester. Great improvement in comfort and room. Too many issues with the outback, zero issues with our first Forester, a 2009.

The wife and I are on our 1st road trip since COVID in our 2016 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited, purchased used in 2018. Just turned 100,000 miles. this trip. Great drive, every option, 33mpg in town 38-40 mpg highway. Also have a 2002 GMC pickup, we have owned 17 years, barebones, crank windows, no cruise, 2 tone paint red and rust. will haul anything, We sold our 1995 Celica GT convertible last fall after 22 years. Wife still misses it.

I admit I am a little strange but new cars don't do it for me. I like the older stuff and enjoy seeing how long I can keep them. One of my favorites that I picked up when I lived in Rochester, NY was a 1988 Cadillac El Dorado Brougham D'Elegance, triple maroon (paint, vinyl top and velure interior). My daughter referred to it as the "ghetto cruiser" and did not want me to park it in her driveway! The story behind buying this was I had had a Buick Park Avenue that came off lease and I was going to lease another Park Avenue. GM was on strike at the time and the pickings for Park Avenues was very slim. I needed a car to drive through the Winter (in Rochester we called them "Winter Bangers") and then get a Park Avenue in the Spring. I was looking at two cars, a banged up Toyota and an even more banged up Honda, both of which were about $1500 each. I was coming home on a Saturday from the office and I passed the Caddy sitting on the side of the road with a 'for sale' sign on it. It was really beautiful and I was pleasantly surprised by the price, $2200. I called the number and bought it that day. The car was just as great as it looked and rode like a dream. I ended up keeping it for 3 years and sold it for $2500!

I have driven Toyotas my whole life and for the last 30 years, basically only Land Cruisers. They never wear out so I have 4 of them with different #s of miles on them. I still daily drive my 1989 or my 1997.

My wife has a Sienna that we will be replacing this year with either another Sienna(her choice) or with a RAV4 plug in hybrid(my choice). I am considering a new Tacoma for me since this is the last year for the Land Cruiser in the US and they have become absurdly expensive.

Sold my Jeep. Sold my Subaru. Sold my Suzuki.

These days I mostly "drive" or ride my bikes. Such as my Magellan Serpens, like this one:

iu

And I have panniers and a trailer for cargo. :cool:

For heavy stuff... I have it delivered. :i

For personal long hauls I use a bus, train or plane.

Side benefit: I have saved really, really a lot in not buying fuel, insurance, oil changes, tires, etc..... :mny

Side note: Take a bike ride in Napa during the crush. I have. The aromas in the air.... A dream. You will not experience that from a car. Just saying....

Side note 2: Would this not be a better topic for General Chit Chat?

Last edited:
A friend's wife drove a Acura MDX. It's a very nice vehicle -- very comfortable to ride in. They had it a long time and were very happy with it.

My wife & I drive Toyotas and Hondas -- mine is a 2015 Camry, 95K miles on it. Pre-COVID I drove 20K miles each year.

Secondary vehicle is a 1998 Tacoma which I purchased new and drove as a primary vehicle for 9 years, it has 196K miles on it. My previous car was a 2008 Camry, which later our sons used in college. It had 185K when we traded it in.

Wife's vehicle is 2019 Honda CR-V, which we both like. Good storage and comfortable to drive. The newer models are ahead of the curve on features and electronics. It's a 4 cylinder with a turbo, snappy acceleration, with 33+ MPG. For a smaller SUV, it's a good choice.

Her prior vehicle was a 2010 Sienna, until I went deer hunting and bagged one. Unfortunately I was driving on an interstate at the time -- I killed both the deer and the Sienna. The wife & I were shaken but unharmed -- it was an "interesting" experience but I don't advise trying it yourself. Prior to its untimely death, the Sienna had nearly 200K on it, and its predecessor (2000 Honda Odyssey) also had nearly 200K when we traded it.

If you keep vehicles long term, both Honda & Toyota are good choices. Since Acura is essentially Honda, it should be a good choice as well.

I am considering a new Tacoma for me since this is the last year for the Land Cruiser in the US and they have become absurdly expensive.
My son purchased a Tacoma last summer, he's VERY happy with it. It's funny seeing my Tacoma next to his, as the new ones are so much bigger. His truck looks like my truck's daddy.

2013 Toyota Highlander. Love it. All it ever needs is an oil change. 8 years and not even one minor repair. Replaced the tires a couple of years ago, the battery last year and that's it.
But the one I like and use the most is my 2016 Toyota Tacoma. It's a truck; does what a truck's supposed to do and does it well. It's a downsize from a Ford F-250 with a plow which I really didn't need any longer after we moved out of the woods and into civilization.

1616496869430.png

Latest posts

Back