what do you do if???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirs

just an oldman
Reaction score
Ok I've been seeing, it seems like everyone saying what's the SG at startup or at different points thru the process. My question is this what do you do if you don't use a hydrometer? Myself I've just always took a spoonfull to tell if it had good sugar or not kinda like a pucker meter lol. The reason I ask is I was talking to a firend who makes wine and was telling him that and he said oh I never taste it while it's working it's not good for you, I said huh??? I've always done that I've never heard of it bothering anyone, he said well your drinking live yeast you never heard of yeast infections?
I'd like to know if any of you have ever heard this and what you all do...I know the majority probly use a hydrometer and will say get a hydrometer which I intend to eventually, but those that don't what do you do?
Eddie

oh and I always keep a close eye on my batches and know when they're slowing down on the working stage, I'm kinda worse than a mother hen lol ask my wife she'll tell you.

Ok I've been seeing, it seems like everyone saying what's the SG at startup or at different points thru the process. My question is this what do you do if you don't use a hydrometer? Myself I've just always took a spoonfull to tell if it had good sugar or not kinda like a pucker meter lol. The reason I ask is I was talking to a firend who makes wine and was telling him that and he said oh I never taste it while it's working it's not good for you, I said huh??? I've always done that I've never heard of it bothering anyone, he said well your drinking live yeast you never heard of yeast infections?
I'd like to know if any of you have ever heard this and what you all do...I know the majority probly use a hydrometer and will say get a hydrometer which I intend to eventually, but those that don't what do you do?
Eddie

Well I'll be the first to tell you, get a hydrometer. With that said would this be the same as eating raw bread dough? Always heard that wasn't good for you either but I did all the time as a child and it didn't hurt me. As far as I know yeast infections are caused by some type of reaction to the yeast that is already in your body. And most yeast infections occur in woman, never know of a man to getting a yeast infection.

ok I was wrong guys do get yeast infections:

Men can get yeast infections both internally and externally. Most yeast infections stem from an overgrowth of candida albicans, a yeast-like fungus that lives naturally on the skin and in the digestive tract and colon. Often, the candida in the colon can overproduce and cause the candida in other areas of the body to do the same. This can create yeast infections on the skin, in the mouth and even in the genital area.
Candidiasis
Candidiasis is an infection that can occur anywhere on the body, but often starts in a man's colon. It can be caused by an overuse of antibiotics, corticosteroids, poor diet and even chlorinated water. The candida starts to grow rampantly and overtakes the body's natural bacteria. It can cause symptoms like headaches, migraines, gastritis, external yeast infections and even autoimmune diseases (i.e. fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome).

When the candida dies, it spews off toxins. The erosion of bacteria in the colon makes the body prone to parasitic invasion. The yeast causes inflammation in the mucus membranes of the colon. As a result, fecal impactions can occur along the walls of the large intestines. This can harbor the yeast, parasites and toxins. If left untreated, these foreign entities can enter the bloodstream and invade cells and body organs. This can then spur other yeast infections in other areas of a man's body.
Mouth Thrush
The high levels of yeast in the colon can spur mouth thrush, or oral thrush, in men. Oral thrush appears as either white, creamy or yellow lesions on the tongue. Though the legions do not usually hurt, they can bleed if rubbed. These lesions can also appear inside the cheeks, roof of the mouth and gums, and even spread to the throat and tonsils. Like candidiasis, oral thrush can spread to the bloodstream and invade other organs and cells, even the brain. Doctors often prescribe nystatin lozenges and pills to control or cure oral thrush.
Penile Yeast Infections
Men can also get penile yeast infections. This fungal infection can cause severe itching and burning. Men who have this problem usually get reddish bumps or blisters on the head or shaft of their *****; and sometimes on the scrotum. Men can sometimes get a clumpy white discharge as well as a starchy odor in the area. Penile yeast infections can stem from systemic or recurring candida infections. This infection can be treated with nystatin creams.
Intertrigo
Another male yeast infection is intertrigo, a severe skin rash that occurs in warm, moist areas of the body such as the armpits and folds of the skin (obese people). Symptoms of intertrigo include a bright red rash with scaling at the edges. The condition is often treated with miconazole or clotrimazole creams. Intertrigo patients must keep all areas of the body dry after showering or bathing.
Ahtlete's Foot
Men can also get athlete's foot. This can be caused from wearing tight shoes and sweaty or wet socks too long. Men can also get it in public showers or around swimming pools. Athlete's foot usually causes flaking, scaling and itching between the toes as well as on the top and bottom of them. It can also appear on the top and bottom of the feet. A men's feet will crack and blister in more severe cases. Anti-fungal creams usually help cure the fungus. Sometimes oral antibiotics are needed to cure athlete's foot

Read more: Male Yeast Infections | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5401580_male-yeast-infections.html#ixzz0wJsP6J8P

Alright enough of the science stuff Julie you're beginning to sound like Troy! LMAO.

You're right though the bottom line is get a hydrometer. When you have a question, the first thing we're going to ask you for is the recipe and sg reading.

Well there goes my lunch. Seriously get a hydrometer. It's a lot easier to know what your wine is or isn't doing. Easy to read once you understand it.

Alright enough of the science stuff Julie you're beginning to sound like Troy! LMAO.

You're right though the bottom line is get a hydrometer. When you have a question, the first thing we're going to ask you for is the recipe and sg reading.

All I'm saying is you guys seem to be covered in sh*t ROFLMAO

I am sampling at the start and every racking as well as sometimes in between rackings and have not encountered problems. It is another tool in good wine making. I think I recall in a post quite a while ago most people were tasting as they go. Time to go get a taste.:dg

Why in the world do you suppose they invented the wine theif?? It certainly wasn't for the hydrometer althought it does work good for that. lol, Arne.

as a healthcare provider, i can tell you that if you have an overgrowth of yeast in your system, any carbohydrate intake will "feed" that yeast. men can harbor candida and not have symptoms and pass it on to a partner:(
jock itch, foot fungus, female yeast infections, are all in the "fungal" category:(
hope this doesn't gross anyone out...us nurses can talk about this stuff (and worse:f) while eating.
tasting shouldn't hurt, but the hydrometer will be more exact!

Can you make it without a hydro> Yes, would I recommend it>no. The reason being is not knowing what kind of a potential alc strain you are putting on your yeast as each different yeast strain has a different tolerance and pushing that past its limit will leave you with a sweet wine and the chance for your wine to re ferment at a later time if it stalls due to stress.

Can you make it without a hydro> Yes, would I recommend it>no. The reason being is not knowing what kind of a potential alc strain you are putting on your yeast as each different yeast strain has a different tolerance and pushing that past its limit will leave you with a sweet wine and the chance for your wine to re ferment at a later time if it stalls due to stress.

ohhhhhh ok didn't know that guess cause I've never had that problem yet knock wood

Hey, lets get something straight. I am not a scientist, thats SETHS title. I am only an instogator.

LOL

I have cooked professionally for quite a few years. When it comes to "developing" a recipe or technique, I want to know every step of the way what I did and whats going on.

NO! You dont need a hydrometer. But do you want to make wine, or do you want to make hooch?

A hydrometer can tell you alot more than alcohol content, it can help you track the ferment progress and also help troubleshoot some problems you may experience.

SIRS, go get a hydrometer, or I am afraid we will never let you live it down!!!

LOL

Like Troy said, the hydrometer tracks the progress - I encourage anyone starting to use a hydrometer to check the reading every day to see how this progress develops. After a few batches you will learn the pattern and this can help you detect or deal with a problem if it arises. I leave my hydrometer in the bucket through the process so I can quickly check the SG and it saves having to clean it each time.

ok will go by today and see about getting one, you all are a tough crowd. LOL Besides that will give me a chance to start learning on my batch I'm gonna start today.

ok will go by today and see about getting one, you all are a tough crowd. LOL Besides that will give me a chance to start learning on my batch I'm gonna start today.

They make a hydrometer that also has a thermometer in it - i use that as it will tell me the temp of the wine - based on the temp the SG might vary some as well.

Here is a temperature hydrometer correction chart.

http://www.ebrew.com/primarynews/ct_hydrometer_temp_correction.htm

ok I got a hydrometer it's a true brew it's calibrated for 60 degrees I can figure out what to do just not sure what the numbers will mean I've got 7 different batches going, one I just crushed this morning. I'm asking now casue I'm gonna leave for an hour or so then I can come back and take readings. I'll post them once I'm back guess you all can tell me more once the readings are done.
Thanks tons

oh can you use the case the meter is in as a sample tube or just use the wine itself???

I don't know what case it came in but I just sanitize it and put it in the wine. Used to use a test tube, thief, and stuff but if I just drop it in the wine, then it's all I have to wash after and I hate doing dishes. LOL

Latest posts

Back