What do you do for work?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are some beautiful stairs! Now they do come with a sign saying "If you're really going to use me, at least take your shoes off" don't they?
I've worked for myself for the past ten years. The past six has been sitting here at the computer getting fat and out of shape, designing and drawing anything someone wants to build.
In my drafting business, I've drawn everything from polebarns to 1.4 million $ houses. Swimming pools, pool cages, docks and anything else that someone needs.
Three years ago it looked like the best decision of my life. This year, well.
What hurts the most with this economy is after farming veggies, big time, for twenty years. Never really having any time off. Driving twenty miles one way even on my days off to check the 13 wells and record the water meter reading. I started to have time with the wife like never before. Take off on the bike for a two day trip when we felt like it.
Now she's had to go back to work full time, even though she gets part time hours.

Those are some great stairs. Very classy!
I work with a company that provides residential and assisted living services to individuals with developemental disabillities. I'm certified by the Board of Nursing to give out medications and assist them with daily living activities and community interaction.
A lot of the people I work with are some of our lowest functioning in society and need extra help to make living outside of an insittution possble. It's very challenging.
I'm also working on my business plan for a vineyard & winery. :)

Well for now I work at one of Canada's most recognized companies Tim Hortons I love meeting people and chatting with them . But I really want to get out of the food business unless I own the place and do something with my creative side . I would love to open a business that I could have a small cafe type restaraunt ,have homemade soup & sandwichs as main menu , and have part of the place be a store where I could sell & promote local products from people making them in thier home . I would even have an area where local small companies could leave thier business cards so they could get thier name out here .Oh of course it would be licensed so I could serve a glass of wine with your meal :)

Nice to see the beautiful craftsmanship displayed here.
I'm a toolmaker by trade, but not in the shop so much now. I program the machinery in the shop using graphic software.

Nice work, Wade. Those are gorgeous. I want to build a bar around my kegerator, but I'm still in the "nailing together plywood and 2x4's" stage of my wordworking skillset. Hopefully I'll get to 10% of your skill level so I can put something together that looks OK. :)

WhineMaker, the performance division sounds pretty sweet. I'm going to have to look into that small block 454. When you first said it, I thought you mistyped and meant big block.

Oh yeah... I'm just a computer geek. Work with a bunch of different languages and databases. I'm one of those "jack of all trades, master of none" type of guys, so it fits that I don't specialize in one particular language or product. LOL

Last edited:
hey tooth I'm a software guy also.
Sr. analyst for a manufacturing company. corporate dev is never exciting and the public never sees your work but it does pay the bills and support hobbies.

Same here - i develop web pages for a telecommunications company. Use different languages and technologies.

Wade
That is truly a gift you have, you should be very proud of the work you do.
As for me I'm a airline pilot and a federal officer with DHS.

Julie, you dont want one of those stairs (spirals), they are basicall for decoration! Once you put up the rail you cant get anything upmthe stairs at all. Its actually very uncomfortable walking up and down them! Its amazing to see how many people have different jobs but we all like fermenting!

hey tooth I'm a software guy also.
Sr. analyst for a manufacturing company. corporate dev is never exciting and the public never sees your work but it does pay the bills and support hobbies.

Yup... that's about it.

The interesting thing I'm seeing from this thread is that while there are a lot of engineer/computer folks involved in homebrewing, home winemaking seems to attract people from a wider variety of occupations and interests. Of course, this is still a small sample size, but interesting nonetheless.

Julie, you dont want one of those stairs (spirals), they are basicall for decoration! Once you put up the rail you cant get anything upmthe stairs at all. Its actually very uncomfortable walking up and down them! Its amazing to see how many people have different jobs but we all like fermenting!

I agree with you Wade I had a house with them in and hated them for that reason. On the other hand a I had a boss with a very large ranch house and they only had one set of stairs going into the basement. So on the other end of the house near the bedrooms they put in a set of spiral stairs going down into the basement to the workout area they had. All of the equipment was brought in down the original stairs. This was practical.

Practical or not, spiral stairs are pretty sweet. I would probably want to make sure I had an extra set too... or just not buy a piano... :p

Those are some beautiful stairs! Now they do come with a sign saying "If you're really going to use me, at least take your shoes off" don't they?
I've worked for myself for the past ten years. The past six has been sitting here at the computer getting fat and out of shape, designing and drawing anything someone wants to build.
In my drafting business, I've drawn everything from polebarns to 1.4 million $ houses. Swimming pools, pool cages, docks and anything else that someone needs.
Three years ago it looked like the best decision of my life. This year, well.
What hurts the most with this economy is after farming veggies, big time, for twenty years. Never really having any time off. Driving twenty miles one way even on my days off to check the 13 wells and record the water meter reading. I started to have time with the wife like never before. Take off on the bike for a two day trip when we felt like it.
Now she's had to go back to work full time, even though she gets part time hours.

Did you read my BIO somewhere? I did the large veggies thing for 20 something years- even had cows for almost 10 to go along with them. I then worked for a few computer companies doing networking and such and eventually started my own. I integrated CAD software into the mix doing drafting work along with an engineer. After subsidizing the computer shop for a few years, I went the drafting solo. Man did last year suck- one third the normal business. This year has picked up and is in line with what I did two years ago at this point. I also am vineyard manager for the Willsboro Cold Hardy grape trial which is located at the Cornell Baker Farm. I also do some independant grape research and have a three acre vineyard. I am remodeling my old barn into a winery and soon tasting room. I got my bonds the other day and the fed and state paperwork are in the hopper right now. Before long, I hope to be making wine commercially and then I don't care if the house drafting work slides or not as I'm getting a bit of age and wear and tear on me!

Last edited:
Well when yoiu are doe drafting Ill take that big monitor off your hands for you when i grab all those new plants next year! :)

Would that be the 32 inch one or the 52 inch one Wade? You didn't see everything! I actually prefer the 24 inch one set to 1920x1600- better resolution, but the bigger ones view better in the bigger rooms.

I am a Journeyman Millwright. In my original career I was a Farmer/rancher. I had to work on the road all the time to pay for the ranch. Left no time for hobbies and fun. Got rid of that in '99 and now just a regular job. Worked on some real cool stuff over the years but now I am a Millwright/operator in Water and Sewer division for the City I live in. I won't post any pics of that!! I enjoy it and it is pretty easy on the body now as we are quite automated. Lots of keyboard time now. Not complaining though because lots of time for hobbies, like this one.

Retired

Im retired. Did that at age 67 ( 71 now) so now I do pretty much what I want.

Checked the wine first thing this morning, repaired rusted roll-off boxes for about 8 hours, then hunted morels for about an hour this evening.

Didn't find beans. Too early for So. Minnesota but was nice wandering around the woods.

:b Yeah, Those steps are nice, particularly if you have little space. Its not the steps that are impressive thought, its the skill involved. As for me, I am a retired postmaster, retired charterboat captain and now I just drive other peoples boats as a yacht delivery captain. See me at Captrich.com. Tough job, but somebody has to do it. What a life I have, great wife, four kids, 7 grand kids and 1 greatgrand daughter, Drive other peoples yachts, make and drink wine and smile and laugh a lot. :b

Some pretty impressive skills here, well done you guys on being so talented, me I'm a chef, mainly pastry and baking but I make a mean chilli:h, I have worked various places and types of catering establishment from 5star hotel and French resto in london, pub kitchen/3x4star hotels/3star hotel/bakery/several resto's in Cornwall, baked on a Cruise ship sailing out of Sydney Aus, now back in Cornwall(Kernow) sometimes the pay isn't so good but the crack or the tips make up for it(occasional flyers,off the books jobs! and the odd wedding cake help out:h).

Back