What do you collect??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I like to collect space memorabilia, specifically (and among other things) US flags that have flown on missions. Here are a couple of pics..

An American flag that was flown on a soviet space station (Salut-6 for 96 days). This was in late 1977 during the cold war. Notice how the "field of stars" is not quite right?
thumbnail1.jpg

3 Flags from the shuttle/mir (phase one) missions. There were several historic firsts associated with these missions. All three have flown on MIR..

thumbnail3.jpg thumbnail6.jpg thumbnail7.jpg

A US flag flown during expedition 9 (ISS)
thumbnail4.jpg

Other than flags, I also have on originally signed pic of the Apollo crew (hand signed and NOT auto-pen),

thumbnail2.jpg

And also (clockwise from the top) A flown mission patch from the first shuttle/satellite repair mission (this is from pee-tees, a BBQ hangout for many folks at JSC, A US Pathfinder stamp signed by Jim Lovell, A signed card by both Patrick Stewart and William Shatner (I know, it is fiction, but what is life without whimsy??), Several shuttle mission patches, A collection of Apollo mission pins, and a picture of the Apollo 17 launch hand signed by both Gene Cernan and Jack Schmitt.

thumbnail8.jpg

What do you folks collect?

These days I collect mostly grape juice. Really expensive grape juice........ LOL

jackson-11.jpg

But........

I have been known to also collect toy robots also. You know the ones that are NIB (New In Box) still. Especially anything Robby the Robot or LIS (Lost in Space). Anything retro Sci-Fi in nature for sure. I have several that are 24" tall, many that are Japanese imports and rather hard to find. I have the 24" R2D2, 24" B9 (LIS). You know typical geek stuff! LOL

17RMA05_Robby-Built-Kit.jpg

lost10.JPG

What I use to collect:

- Pewter figures
- old cigarette lighters
- tinplate toys, especially clockwork
- wood toys
- Tonka trucks
- stamps
- coins and paper currency
- was for a long time a huge rock hound, and personally drove around in my jeep in many states picking up rocks and fossils (mostly plants but a few fish)
- cut gem stones (those I bought, and had a modest opal collection which I gave finally to an ex-girlfriend)
- magazines (mostly old Popular Science/Mechanics)
- books (mostly first editions or pre-1900)
- a lot of dust on all of the above

What I collect now:

Not much actually. After two decades of continent hopping for business and pleasure left me living out of a suitcase for long periods. Learned to appreciate experiences more than things.

Now that I am more sedentary, owning land, I do collect some books. And stamps. And coins and currency from my travels seem to be around the house by default. And wine bottles. But wine bottles and currency were more incidental to what I was or am doing, and not by design or intent. And some scotch bottles (I tell myself I may one day want to build ships in them.... meh.... a future hobby idea that my be unrealistic). I would very much like to collect some heirloom garden plants as I have gotten more and more into gardening. But not much success there.

Last edited:
I like to collect space memorabilia, specifically (and among other things) US flags that have flown on missions. Here are a couple of pics..

An American flag that was flown on a soviet space station (Salut-6 for 96 days). This was in late 1977 during the cold war. Notice how the "field of stars" is not quite right?
View attachment 46498

3 Flags from the shuttle/mir (phase one) missions. There were several historic firsts associated with these missions. All three have flown on MIR..

View attachment 46499 View attachment 46500 View attachment 46501

A US flag flown during expedition 9 (ISS)
View attachment 46502

Other than flags, I also have on originally signed pic of the Apollo crew (hand signed and NOT auto-pen),

View attachment 46503

And also (clockwise from the top) A flown mission patch from the first shuttle/satellite repair mission (this is from pee-tees, a BBQ hangout for many folks at JSC, A US Pathfinder stamp signed by Jim Lovell, A signed card by both Patrick Stewart and William Shatner (I know, it is fiction, but what is life without whimsy??), Several shuttle mission patches, A collection of Apollo mission pins, and a picture of the Apollo 17 launch hand signed by both Gene Cernan and Jack Schmitt.

View attachment 46504

What do you folks collect?

That's pretty cool. I'm a space operations officer with the Army (part time) and do some pretty interested space stuff.

I collected autographed books and a few other small things (wine bottles to whatever)

I use to collect Carroll Shelby (race car driver, car maker) memorabilia. Autographs, magazines, posters, signed car parts etc. I bumped into him at a Historic Car race and had a nice chat with him. He passed away in 2012.

Latest posts

Back