What did you do this weekend?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sent you two bottles for the big, bold red contest. (which, by the way, was never followed up with a white wine contest) :p

OK, so I tried to lay down a guilt trip and it backfired!!! I now realize that Mom was a lot more talented than I. :)

We could definitely make a "meet up" happen. Perhaps we could find a central location? Perhaps find a place where we could have a tasting party?

You are right, we have not had the white wine follow up competition. It has simply been crazy this year, but I have not forgotten. I am thinking of doing it in mid November of this year.

I was thinking that, since there would be most likely fewer white wine entries, we could make it a Country, Fruit, and Great White competition.

Last edited:
Nice weekend. Here is an outline...

Friday Night - made a b-line to the local butcher shop. They have the best hamburgers and dogs.

Saturday - Hade 7 people over to bottle wine. I then grilled said hamburgers and dogs. We corked 54 cases (16 cases of Riesling, 14 cases of petit sarah, and 14 cases of merlot). Good fun had by all!

Sunday - Went to a swim party at my brother's house and had (you guessed it) burgers and dogs again.

Monday - took a nice drive up to a friend's house in Orange County NY. Came back home and straightened up the house. SWMBO came home around 11am (she had been away for two weeks). First thing she wanted was Burger King for dinner. I smiled, picked up the food for her, and said nothing about how I was eating burgers for the last 3 days.

This weekend was the annual camping trip at the Briggs Farm Blues festival.

Had a spectacular time. Brought a case of wine (a 3 day fest with 6 of us in our group).

The food we made was awesome...

On day 1, we always eat simple since time is needed for setting up camp. We shared a huge muffaletta sandwich that did a great job in filling us up.

Day two was my turn to cook. BBQ brisket with andouille sausage, Potato salad, and pasta/veggie salad.

Day three we had ribs and salad.

We brought so much food that we ended up feeding the security staff. Great bunch of guys that really appreciated the gesture.

Here are some pics....

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_20160709_183144_082.jpg

IMG_20160709_232115_625.jpg

On Saturday, Dad (has Parkinson's) needed to get out of the house, or should I say that Mom needed a couple of hours of "alone time".

I picked up dad and took a trip to the Hungarian Center of Meat. Yup, that is actually the name of the butcher store which is about 45 minutes away.

We ended up getting some real Hungarian bacon, Salami, and (best of the best) REAL HUNGARIAN KOLBASI!!!! I have had this in Hungary, and this is the only place that get's it right. Ended up getting 7 rings to be dispersed to the family members.

Dad was still doing great and was delighted at the change of scenery. So, we went further down the raod to the Italian market just another 15 minutes further. Shhhhesh! My dad was like Mario Andretti behind the shopping cart. We loaded up on cheeses, produce, bread, Italian sausage, and various other delicacies.

The whole trip took 3 hours. When we got back (with our treasures) Mom looked like a different person. Well rested and relaxed. without wasting any time, we dove into the Hungarian Kolbasi.

This stuff is hard to describe. It is smoke cured and slightly firm and very well seasoned with paprika, garlic, and various other spiced that would reduce a Vampire to a quivering mess. We usually cut it into "Coins" and place that on small pieces of rye bread, then toast under the broiler. Words just can't describe.

I am so glad I had a chance to spend some time with Dad and also help out Mom. Dad has his good days and his bad days. This was definitely on of his good days.

I had passed up on an event being held at the Beneducci Winery in order to spend time with Dad. They kept sending me photos and looked like they were having the time of their lives. Normally, I would be lamenting over the good time that never happened, but not this time..

After leaving Dad's, I went home and made a superb post of meatballs-n-sausage from the stuff I got at the Italian market. One of the best I ever made.

On Sunday I helped SWMBO by vacuuming the entire house, then canned a batch of blueberry jam, a batch of strawberry jam, and a large batch of dill pickle chips (from cucumbers I have been growing on my deck).

For dinner, I grilled a London broil, baked potatoes, sweet corn dinner.

SWMBO and I then sat down and began binge watching Downton Abbey. She has been threatening to force me to watch it. She finally carried out on her threat. I have to admit that I was getting into it.

Went to my grandsons first birthday party. My daughter had a pool party for 50 people at her house. Perfect weather for the day.
I made the desserts for the party. My daughter wanted flavored cupcakes. I made lemon raspberry, strawberry shortcake, cannoli and the traditional flavors as well. I made a Mickey Mouse 'smash" cake as well. I supplied the wine for the festivities. Good time for everyone. Bakervinyard

Went up to my property to get some tractor work done. Few hours in, the friction clutch on my brand new bush hog started slipping and smoking, apparently came too loose from the factory. Went back to the camp to torque it down a bit. When I was done, the tractor wouldn't start, 57 hours on it and just came back from its first scheduled maintenance. Lovely. New stuff is way more problematic than stuff that has the kinks worked out.

Had a few Crown -n- Sevens, giant bone on rib eyes and baked potatoes with Mrs. JohnD and called it a night at 8.

Both still under warranty thankfully, hid the keys for the dealer, they'll be up there to retrieve, repair, and return before my return, hopefully.

On Saturday, I took SWMBO to the 4H fair but only stayed an hour since it was brutally hot outside.

We then took a drive, had lunch (at a real Jersey Diner), then went home to camp out in the AC. Made grilled shrimp with dirty rice for dinner.

On Sunday, I went to the movies.

Kind of a slow weekend.

We were busy. I was off Friday and went down to Williamsburg with the family to spend the day at Busch Gardens. Long day, but fun. We left the house at about 7:45am and didn't return until 10:30. Saturday we hung at the pool for a couple hours with some friends, then we met a high school friend of mine at a local brewery and went out to dinner. Yesterday, we went downtown to the Nationals game. I was able to get seats that were in the shade after about 1.5 innings so we were relatively comfortable.

Saturday: Binge watched steaming TV shows with my GF and did basically nothing. (very long and exhaustive week at work, I just needed to rest)

Sunday: Made my Chicken and Chorizo Cilantro Lime pizza (I have major trouble wine pairing this pizza, but it's incredibly good), built a AT-ST model and just hung out with my GF, her daughter, and my Astronomy buddy Dan.

Sunday we went to a winery south of Ft. Worth to help them pick Viognier, started at 7am and by noon it was over 100 heat index in the shade what little there was. There was 7 of us and we got started on the 10th row before we got too hot. Got 1 pick of a cluster...

Viognier_20160807a.jpg

Drive, stop every 10 feet, get off, get under the grape vines, go back driving, repeat a million times. What was I doing? Installing bird net
28232103073_d3e4d1cb04_b.jpg

Drive, stop every 10 feet, get off, get under the grape vines, go back driving, repeat a million times. What was I doing? Installing bird net
28232103073_d3e4d1cb04_b.jpg

Where are your vines? IIRC, you're located not far from me.

Spent Sunday/Monday in Williamsburg with some friends. Sunday at Water Country, USA and yesterday at Busch Gardens. Always fun riding all the rides.

Latest posts

Back