What did Santa Bring? Demijohns

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneStarLori

Veteran wino, newbie vintner
Reaction score
So since we are traveling for Christmas, Santa came early to avoid breakage. I got two of these (Huge surprise from my husband). they came from a local auction.

Can anyone tell me anything about them? The carboy next to one picture is a 6 gal. How much do they hold? There are lots of bubbles and flaws,but also rather light compared to my Italian carboys.
Any info?

9A0F61D7-4212-4F42-9782-E4BEDA81FF30.jpg

EC25F680-F31C-4464-9018-6A35418D0735.jpg

7FBA0339-B9E3-47E4-BCCA-51FD881C42B4.jpg

Lori they make a great decoration since you do not have the basket that goes along with it. They are extremely fragile and even more dangerous when wet while cleaning them. I bought 10 of them for about $10 each and sold all but one of them. I think they hold around 13 gallons. I keep mine on the bench where I can rack into it and siphon back out of it. Once filled you cannot lift it. Consider using it as a decoration for your own safety.

Lori, I have to agree with Dan. They are very unstable when not protected by their basket. As for their volume, judging from the relative size of the demijohn next to the 6 gallon carboy and the number "30" on the neck, it could be 30 liters (about 7.8 gallons) although it looks smaller. If you want to try to use if for wine, I would look for a plastic basket like a laundry basket or perhaps construct a wooden crate into which it would fit snugly. Good luck. It is a nice piece.

Lori -
Also be careful about putting vacuum to such a delicate glass- they always made me nervous handling them -

Great input from all of you. My initial reaction was, they're very thin glass.
I know his heart was in the right place, but practically speaking, probably not going to be used.
(We'll keep this between us)

Agree with what others said about being careful and not using vacuum. But I would probably use it anyway. If you can find a box or, even better, a wooden crate that it would fit in, it would be safer. It will hold liquid just fine. It looks too small to be one of the 12 or so gal demijohns. It is likely 30 liters.

Oh, that's exactly what Rocky said. I agree!

Lori, That green demijohn is very lovely. I think wines should always be made in beautiful rather than simply functional vessels. I agree , though that you really want to find or make a sturdy crate to support it.

Lori, those are lovely. Kudos to hubby for the thought.

If I really wanted to use it I would not only find something like a crate to fit around it, but I would get some of that Amazing Stuff like foam insulation to create a nice padding around it. That might mean you only use it to rack into and out of with autosyphon, but it would make it more secure. I would still hate to clean that thing tho.

Pam in cinti

Pam, that is a heck of a good idea!

Lori, It would require some effort but here is what I would do:

1. Get a box which holds the demijohn comfortably,
2. line the inside with a plastic like from a painters plastic drop cloth,
3. wrap the demijohn with a piece of the plastic drop cloth,
4. put some expanding spray foam insulation in the bottom of the box and set the demijohn inside.
5. spray foam around the demijohn to encase it being careful not to get any foam on the glass,
6. after the foam sets up, trim it around the top of the box and remove the demijohn from the box.

Note: work in a well ventilated area.

With the plastic in place, should you ever want to remove it you can do so easily by slitting the foam and unpeeling it from the demijohn. The foam wrapping would not add much weight and it would protect the vessel. It's an idea.

Last edited:
I think what I will most likely do with these is use them as a bulk aging vessel. I would be furious with myself if I used the vacuum pump and they imploded. I will do my usual carboys and vacuum till I am ready to age, then I guess I can go to the trouble to auto syphon into it (and lift, uggh) to let it age in a pretty vessel.
Might be time to get the Mustang grapes out of the freezer and see just how old school I can be.

I am kind of obligated to use them somehow. It wasn't just my husband involved, but a couple of his employees that found them at an auction and knowing I make wine, thought to buy them for him. Makes me smile that so many were involved.

Latest posts

Back