what desired SG before bottling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
Fermented in carboy for 8 days and transfered to secondary. Been in the secondary only 4 days, looking good so far starting to see a little clearing. Checked the SG today out of curiosity. I had 1.000 @ 70F. Does it sound like I't doing right? What SG before bottling? How long roughly before it reaches that point? And, can I continue to age in the secondary or bottle as soona s the proper SG is reached? Looks like there is very little settling in the bottom of the secondary.
Thanks
Troy

Troy:

Everything sounds good, so far. I don't recall what you are making but I wouldn't bottle before somewhere between 2 months and 2 years.

Steve

Thanks Steve, so just go ahead and leave it in the secondary for that whole time, or transfer it at a certain point?
Troy

cloudy

i would think that the biggest problem before bottling would be it being cloudy .. so you want it to settle and that will take time and it wil age also . just let it sit make sure the airlock has liquid in it and when you do get some lees in the bottom rack them off .. every couple months .. might have to top up at that point with some simialar wine .. by that time the wine will be fermented out . using any stabilizer . ?

Back