What combinations of fruit are no good

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mango Madness

Reaction score
I've done going on ten brews now, seven of them would be mango wine. I thought I'd try something different and did a Lychee and Passionfruit but it turned out very bitter. I used the SL9 Yeast but the CL23 is what I have added to the Watermelon and Strawberry Wine I put on yesterday. Is it ok to mix fruits? Was thinking of Mango and Pineapple next? Hi all BTW.

It’s definitely ok to mix fruits. Sometimes, at least with grapes, is to ferment separately and blend after they’re done fermenting. Bitter might not be a result of the fruits but in the process. We would have to know more details on how you did the fermentation.

It’s definitely ok to mix fruits. Sometimes, at least with grapes, is to ferment separately and blend after they’re done fermenting. Bitter might not be a result of the fruits but in the process. We would have to know more details on how you did the fermentation.
I didn't know about degassing. Only just read a out it here.

Not sure if I've ever had or made a "bad" combination, but the one thing I've seen over the years is one flavor overpowering the others. Raspberry is the biggest "culprit" :) that can easily dominate. Subtle flavors like apple, pear, banana, etc can get lost sometimes. Pineapple has a strong flavor and acidity, so the ratio to mango could be important. Some people make separately then blend later. As to yeast, it makes a HUGE difference, and I'm not sure there's any solid info out there as reference for fruits, since most is grape based; personal preference may dictate, although anecdotal recommendation from others might be out there. We made a split batch of mango using two different yeasts and got two TOTALLY different wines... it was a real education (71B gave a fruitier wine, while QA23 had fantastic aroma with a bit more mango skin "bitter" component).

Back