What color bottle for white?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

270bob

Junior
Reaction score
Just wondering how many forum members use clear bottles for white. I have been using green or brown but I can get some clear ones for $3.00/12.

Bob

Then BUY them thats a good price. Color means little for whites except for presentation.

I actually prefer DEAD LEAF bottles for white wines ... particularly since most of my whites throw a real light ... hardly noticeable...sediment several months after bottling.

I know, I know ... should filter ... but hey, bottle in a DEAD LEAF bottle and there's just enough color for me not to notice the sediment.

I actually prefer DEAD LEAF bottles for white wines ... particularly since most of my whites throw a real light ... hardly noticeable...sediment several months after bottling.

I know, I know ... should filter ... but hey, bottle in a DEAD LEAF bottle and there's just enough color for me not to notice the sediment.
Remember the 3 "P's" Whites need time to clear if not "polishing".

Is that three dollars for used bottles with labels still on them? If it is buy all you need. If they do not have labels on them buy all they have!! I like to bottle my whites in clear bottles. Especially wines that are straw colored I like in clear. I save the green bottles for the reds. I have a bunch of blue bottles also and I am always torn in what to put in those.

Unless you're storing it in bright light for a long period of time why would it matter what color he bottle is ? When you buy at the liquor store they are all different colors .

It's $3.00 for used with the labels on. The green and brown are $5.00 used with labels on. All come in the box and they are all the same type/name..

Bob

If stored in the dark it doesn't matter. Also if you only have a limited source for getting bottles, you use whatever you can get. But if you have a nice variety of colors in your inventory to chose from then you can make a choice based off the type of wine and maybe even the colors in your label.

It's $3.00 for used with the labels on. The green and brown are $5.00 used with labels on. All come in the box and they are all the same type/name..

Bob

WOW, thats pretty expensive for green bottles. There are times when you can buy new ones for under ten bucks. Of course I am sure the region you're in and all makes a differance also. I they can fetch 5.00 for used greens, I am assuming new ones must be quiet a bit more.

:u
Of course FREE is better.
That's how I get 95% of my bottles. I just put the word out and POOF! there is a case or 2 at my door. Ck at a bar or restaurant and ask them to save you some. I "must" have 40 + cases FREE.

I didn't realize you were form Canada. $13.00 seems like a going price most anyplace. I think anything over $3.00 for used bottles with the labels still on is pretty high in the US.

:u
Of course FREE is better.
That's how I get 95% of my bottles. I just put the word out and POOF! there is a case or 2 at my door. Ck at a bar or restaurant and ask them to save you some. I "must" have 40 + cases FREE.

Tom you always gotta one up me!:w:w I got about 50 cases last fall after our wine festival for $2.00 a case and I only went to one winery that I knew the label wouldn't be to horrible to get off. Did you ever notice that lables on clear bottles are harder to get off then ones on colored bottles? :(

Bob, the price you pay (if you're not Tom :w..LOL) is going to be relevant to supply in your area also. Do you have any wineries that give tastings? Check them out also.

Sorry:slp Didn't mean to.
Yes it seem like sometimes they are harder on clear. Next time try this. I use a single blade paint scraper. Works for me... :h

I have never paid for a bottle. But Washington State doesnt have a bottle deposit law either. I like to put winw in clear bottles when I want to show off. I dont care what kind of wine it is if it is Pretty

Pretty wine with good taste

girlwithwine.jpg

prefer clear Bordeaux bottles for whites or very light Burgundy style bottles. It really is just presentation for me as darker bottles always do better for protecting your wine or beer.

But, she's holding the glass wrong.. OK I bet you didnt see that either right??

Latest posts

Back