What color bottle for white?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
personally i wouldn't pay for used bottles.
i have the tasting room at a local winery save me used bottles - i get lots of the same style bottles that way.
restaurants are another good option.

i think anyone who charges for used bottles is taking advantage and being overly opportunistic. unless they have gone through the trouble of removing labels and washing them out.

i think anyone who charges for used bottles is taking advantage and being overly opportunistic. unless they have gone through the trouble of removing labels and washing them out.

I agree, but my best bottle source is a winery/bistro an hour from here. They charge me $4/case for empties that haven't even been rinsed out.

Still beats the other sources. Other than a restaurant that collects about 4 bottles a month, other sources are mostly cruddy, filthy empties with mouse dropppings in them.

Once I have 5 or 6 hundred collected, I'll feel better.

bob - you might try Freecycle.org, put up a "wanted" posting for the freecycle for your area, another source would be Craigslist, again, might work out to your benefit. good luck!

bob - you might try Freecycle.org, put up a "wanted" posting for the freecycle for your area, another source would be Craigslist, again, might work out to your benefit. good luck!

Thans for the suggestion. Neither are prominent here.

I have considered a claddified add for clean, delabeled bottles - .$25 each in matching sets of five though!

delabeling is pretty easy, a big bucket, fill the bottles with water so they don't float, stand them in the bucket, add a scoop or two of oxyclean, fill bucket with water, let soak 24-48 hours, most labels will fall off on their own, those that dont will peel off easily. rinse well. very little sweat expended in this method.

i think clear bottles are fine for whites, i use clear bordeaux bottles for all whites except chards, i still use green or dead leaf burgundy bottles.

and if you dont have good local sources for free used bottles, then $3/case for used is better than $10+ for new.

Is that three dollars for used bottles with labels still on them? If it is buy all you need. If they do not have labels on them buy all they have!! I like to bottle my whites in clear bottles. Especially wines that are straw colored I like in clear. I save the green bottles for the reds. I have a bunch of blue bottles also and I am always torn in what to put in those.

I knew you had posted something about blue bottles but you boys went so far off topic :slp

Reisling is always a good wine for blue bottles and brown for Gewertz.

Julie

Well, It's true..:slp
Then again it did take a looong time before I noticed... :db

Well, It's true..:slp
Then again it did take a looong time before I noticed... :db

Tom, what do you mean it took you a long time to notice...how old was this post before BrewPahl commented on it. Watch out I think you got a stalker breathing down your back Tom! :sm

Well lets see...
You posted the picture @ 4:56
I noticed that she was holding the glass wrong @ 5:00
Wonder if its the red wine that makes me notice...:slp

why didn't you post a buff photo of a fireman with a smokey, smeared, sweaty chest and 6 pack abs holding a glass of wine?

I suppose pretty wine is in the eye of the beholder huh?

Allie :p

Not stalking.....but maybe I would that pretty wine though!!!

Allie I googled the internet and got this for ya

SheffieldFiremanWayne500.jpg

Not exactly what you want though!!!

As a retired Firefighter myself I know it would be hard to find a firefighter drinking wine after working a fire. Gatorade maybe!

thankyou.. I'm still catching my breath!

men are such gorgeous creatures..

why do women have to demand photos of them?

You guys underestimate our interest.

Allie

Latest posts

Back