What are your plans for the spring harvest?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm still up in the air but chances are I'll be doing another SA Cab Sauv and maybe a small batch of Pinotage. As far a Chilean I'm really happy with the Merlot, Malbec and Carmenere from last year. I don't want to go too overboard though because I'm hoping to get a lot of local and quality west coast fruit come fall.

After seeing what your SA Cab is like already, I'm tempted to do one this spring. Schedules and available containers will dictate what I do.

I did 300lbs of chilean Cab Sauv last may because they didn't have the carmenere available and the fruit looked great ( its still bulk aging and haven't tasted yet ) this year ill try for the carmenere again but will try the Cab again or what looks best at the time.

I did 300lbs of chilean Cab Sauv last may because they didn't have the carmenere available and the fruit looked great ( its still bulk aging and haven't tasted yet ) this year ill try for the carmenere again but will try the Cab again or what looks best at the time.

If you can get it I would highly recommend the SA Cab Sauv from Stellenbosch.

If I can get grapes and they aren’t too crazy expensive, probably enough for two carboys (200lbs) of Malbec, merlot, Cab, or whatever red is available. If no grapes or they’re unreasonably expensive, then probably just two Chardonnay buckets. I would rather be patient and save my money for fall harvest than waste a bunch on spring grapes if need be.

When do the Chilean grapes typically start to become available? I’m in Pittsburgh if that matters.

Yes; I know that CFP has them and I have a question out to them to see when. Oddly their website has grapes listed as “February Arrival” which I thought was odd because I thought the Chilean grapes were April. Any idea what would be out in Feb? The website doesn’t specify what region they are from.

Oddly their website has grapes listed as “February Arrival” which I thought was odd because I thought the Chilean grapes were April.

Naturally, they also list their California, Italy, Lanza, South Africa (you get the idea) grapes as "February Arrival." :slp

It's hard to say...I did 4 buckets in the fall and wont really get a handle on my results for months so my learning curve is where it is till then..I'm confident nothing has gone horribly wrong

but I have a 500 dollar gift card to Corrados (local supplier) burning a hole in my pocket...may buy a small press and a demijohn for larger volume capacity and go with grapes they crush on site and you bring home in buckets...trying to work my way to a crusher destemmer with hopes I'll have acquired enough knowledge to make a good stab at fresh grapes by the fall..

Yes; I know that CFP has them and I have a question out to them to see when. Oddly their website has grapes listed as “February Arrival” which I thought was odd because I thought the Chilean grapes were April. Any idea what would be out in Feb? The website doesn’t specify what region they are from.

That's interesting, Gino Pinto doesn't have theirs listed yet and they are affiliated. I do know Obelix has fermented his grapes in Australia so February is possible I guess.

I'm only gonna do dressed-up cheap kits and grapes that I can put in a barrel from now on. Tired of these horrible, flavorless juice buckets. Did 5 top quality kits last year and wasn't impressed by any of them so far. I'd love to try Carmenere this spring so I may try to get the best quality grapes I can find. I usually hit up Keystone but are these any options close to me?

I'm only gonna do dressed-up cheap kits and grapes that I can put in a barrel from now on. Tired of these horrible, flavorless juice buckets. Did 5 top quality kits last year and wasn't impressed by any of them so far. I'd love to try Carmenere this spring so I may try to get the best quality grapes I can find. I usually hit up Keystone but are these any options close to me?

I'll have to go to Pittsburgh or New Jersey this spring. They are the closest for me.

I am going to make Carménère, Malbec, and Viognier. I found a local (near Chicago) wine makers club that's doing a bulk buy.

I made a Carmenere and Malbec last spring. The Carmeners was a juice bucket with an 18 lb lug of grapes and 9 lugs of skins I got from @Boatboy24 Jim. It's not bad right now. The Malbec was a juice bucket with 2 18 lb lugs of grapes and 7-20 lb second use SA Cab Sauv skins. The Malbec is light and I just added 4 grams of Tannin Estate a few minutes ago. Not real happy with it. Those were my last 2 juice buckets. Everything form now on is grapes. So this spring if nothing else I'm going to do a 9-10 gallon grape batch of Malbec and ferment it with about 3-4 gallons of last years Malbec and would also like to do another batch of the SA Cab Sauv.

Well, just got the email today from CFP winemakers in Pittsburgh that the Chilean and South African grapes will start arriving May 1st. Ordered 3 lugs of the Chilean Merlot so guess I am officially dipping my toes into the all grape world this spring!

Latest posts

Back