What are your plans for the spring harvest?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just requested pricing from Keystone. For me they are just a few minutes further than Pinto's but it doesn't appear they offer S African grapes. I like the fact they let you know what grapes will come from what region even though I'm not smart enough to know what difference the terrier makes for the individual varietal.

Where is Corrado's, I can't seem to find them. If in New Jersey you can't find their pricing.
It's on the clifton paterson border in north jersey...I spoke to them and they will be getting spring grapes..though they said last year the supplier stiffed them...
I'll post the pricing once they have it...I stop by there about once a week bc I pass it for work all the time

Thanks, that's what I thought, but hadn't seen that Procacci did spring grapes. I was hoping to do a malbec, not sure scheduling works to get the grapes.

I went back and forth about what I wanted to do. I ended up ordering 12 18# lugs of Carménère. Enough for two 6 gallon carboys.

I originally wanted to do Malbec but I did some research and the Chilean Malbec reviews didn’t sound too great. I talked to the guy at Consumers and he recommended Carménère too. I still have a ways to go before I start getting organized for this but any recommendations for a yeast? MLF?

I went back and forth about what I wanted to do. I ended up ordering 12 18# lugs of Carménère. Enough for two 6 gallon carboys.

I originally wanted to do Malbec but I did some research and the Chilean Malbec reviews didn’t sound too great. I talked to the guy at Consumers and he recommended Carménère too. I still have a ways to go before I start getting organized for this but any recommendations for a yeast? MLF?

I've done a few Carmenere batches and have always used D254. MLF for certain.

Gino Pinto is a little over an hour from me, and the Carmenère is tempting. Single variety, or should I be thinking about blending partners?

Gino Pinto is a little over an hour from me, and the Carmenère is tempting. Single variety, or should I be thinking about blending partners?

I made 12 varietals last year, 11 red and one white. I'll definately keep some as single varietals but I think most will be blends. Doesn't have to be one or the other.

I like it on it's own, or blended with a little Petite Verdot.

ill be bottling my Chilean Malbec and Carm/cab blend next Saturday from the wine school ive first dipped my feet into wine making with....carm cab blend was good, ive done it before....
also this will probably be the last time I do anything with them since ive left the nest so to speak...
nice thing is, though they are losing a customer, they have asked if I would like to work part time during the peak seasons when the classes are full there helping out and such....

So I've been pricing a press, in hope of making the jump from pails to grapes...any thoughts on what size press is appropriate if the starting volume is 27 to 30 gal of must?...did the math as per previous posts, I picked up a pair of 54L demijohns so I'll be in the 15 gallon area after pressing

#35 basket press or a 40L bladder press will work fine for what you describe.

15+ gallons is a good place to be. You can use Carboys, 15 gallon Intellitanks or 15.5 gallon stainless beer kegs for aging.

I just placed my order for grapes at Gino Pinto's. I never bought from them before and all they wanted was my name and phone number and no deposit. Really shocked about the deposit. When I got my fall PV from CFP I stopped in to look at them before I commited to buying and they wouldn't take my money prior to picking them up either. They seem like pretty trusting people. The CFP person was great, can't wait to meet the Pinto's.

I just placed my order for grapes at Gino Pinto's. I never bought from them before and all they wanted was my name and phone number and no deposit. Really shocked about the deposit. When I got my fall PV from CFP I stopped in to look at them before I commited to buying and they wouldn't take my money prior to picking them up either. They seem like pretty trusting people. The CFP person was great, can't wait to meet the Pinto's.

I've been surprised by not needing a deposit as well with them. I don't think Pinto's worries about orders not being picked up, except if really large, they have buyers who will buy whatever they have left at the end of the season if anything. Let me know when you are going, I'll try to meet you there. Your getting SA grapes only?

I've been surprised by not needing a deposit as well with them. I don't think Pinto's worries about orders not being picked up, except if really large, they have buyers who will buy whatever they have left at the end of the season if anything. Let me know when you are going, I'll try to meet you there. Your getting SA grapes only?

Right now that is all I ordered. I really want the Chilean Pinot Noir but don't want to make 2 trips. Hope it works out, would be good to get together far a little while

I ended up getting the Pinot Noir. They are scheduled to arrive April 29th and the SA Cab the 22nd. They are going to keep the CAB in the freezer so one pick up.

Latest posts

Back