What are your grape blends??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Italy107

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all, this is my third year making wine with grapes and in the first two years I made different combinations. The first year I made a blend of Allicante, Merlot, and Zifandel. Second year I did Allicante, Barbera, Zifandel. Both came out pretty good and everyone seems to love it. But this year I am looking for something different. I am getting ready to bottle my wine from last year and then setting up with 2018 squeeze. Anyone in here do a cabernet blend? Or Petite Syrah blend? I am trying to see what others do and what success you have had with your blends?

I did a Cabernet Sauvignon 23% Merlot 31% Sangiovese 31% and Alicante 15% I liked the way it turned out. Was thinking maybe doing equal cab sauv, Merlot, and Sangiovese this year anyone ever try that thoughts?

This year Merlot 70%, Cab 20% and Carnellian 10%. Last year reversed the Merlot and Cab percentages.

Two Springs ago Chilean I did 33% Cab Sauv/33% Merlot/33% Malbec. Wife and I opened a bottle last night and both of us said, we would buy that if we tasted it. Probably willing to pay about $15 or so for a bottle maybe a bit more. I think it could have used a bit more time on oak, but I often think that.

Last year Chilean hasn't been blended yet, but something will happen with it.

Jim, we pick up our Cab & Petite Sirah grapes tomorrow, our two Fav wines. What % blend do you like? We won’t blend until after some bulk aging, but want to think about it while we HAND distem & crush! Ouch! Roy

This will be first year doing both field blending and bench trials.

Field blends:

Carmenere/malbec
Cab sauv/syrah
Alicante/sangiovese
Nebiollo/petite sirah

Possible blends from single varietals:

Cab Sauv/Syrah/Grenache
Zin/petite sirah
Brunello/petite sirah
Brunello/zin
Cab Sauv/petite sirah

Possible field & single varietal blends:

Brunello/Alicante
Brunello/Nebiollo/Petite Sirah
Alicante/Petite Sirah

No percentages in mind yet.

My current plan is for a 50:50 Merlot Malbec. I have the Malbec in primary right now. And start on the Merlot next week. I will let them develop and mature in bulk for eight months then blend and bottle after a further two or three months. Then if I am discipled enough leave the bottles for a further six to twelve months.

Latest posts

Back