What are your 2017 goals?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jericurl

The Ferminator
Reaction score
I've been sitting here making a list of my homebrewing goals for 2017 and I thought I would share them with you guys here. And then I'll periodically update this thread as I (hopefully) tick each item off the list. Feel free to add suggestions or your own 2017 goals list as I would love to see what everyone else is wanting to do.

1. Buy and make one of the big red wine kits that everyone raves about here (Maybe one of the Stag ones) and tweak it a bit, Joeswine style.

2. Make a sparkling fruit mead

3. Make a lower ABV hopped mead

4. Make an actual beer (grain or extract, not sure which yet)

I'm sure I will add more as I think about it.

To retire on September 30.
To find another job that I enjoy to supplement my retirement income until my 2 finish college
To perfect my wine making especially in the area of juice buckets and muscadine
To make more wine for competition, giving away, and for me to enjoy.

Actually, my goal is to make more beer. This wine thing is taking time away that I'd normally use for beer production. When I kegged some Pinot Grigio earlier this week for a get together we just got back from, I noticed three lonely Corny kegs, all nice and shiny, needing to be filled. So I bought some grain/hops/yeast and will make a batch on Monday. Will probably have it in the keg in two weeks if all goes well.

Assuming the question is wine related: I have 56 gallons of 2016 white and red muscadine, blackberry, elderberry, and cabernet (in a moment of weakness, I bought a bucket) in carboys to age and bottle and I have more of each of the first 3 in the freezer. I have one 5 gallon, one 3 gallon, one 6 gallon, and one unknown 4 or 5 gallon empty carboys and several one gallon and less for racking. Fortunately I have a place where I can buy new 3 gallon $19.99 and 5 gallon $24.99 carboys. I don't usually do more than 30 gallons a year, so I'm hesitant to buy more carboys. But I can't make margaritas because I have no room for ice (normally, tonight was an exception) in the freezer. If you can see where this is going, you're ahead of me. Where was I? Oh. If I have a good crop of muscadines, blackberries, elderberries, and aronia (chokeberries) this year, I could have thousands of pounds of fruit. What the Hell am I doing? I thought I was retired. Retire, they said. Go fishing. Travel. They didn't say crawl around on the ground in 95 degree high humidity heat pulling weeds and 20 degrees pruning. They didn't say scavenge bottles and spend your life peeling labels. The heck with it (censored language.) I'm booking a flight to Cancun. I don't do all inclusives, so I'm getting on the Riviera Bus for $7 US and going to Playa del Carmen from the airport for a week. Then taking a bus to Progresso, then Merida. Then back here where I have a ton of pruning to do and start it all over.

Get my Mezza Luna Red kit made. Make plenty of DB and the variations I have been planning all winter. Enter my apple wine in the county fair. And last but not least, I plan to keep having fun with winemaking!

:b:b
I've been sitting here making a list of my homebrewing goals for 2017 and I thought I would share them with you guys here. And then I'll periodically update this thread as I (hopefully) tick each item off the list. Feel free to add suggestions or your own 2017 goals list as I would love to see what everyone else is wanting to do.

1. Buy and make one of the big red wine kits that everyone raves about here (Maybe one of the Stag ones) and tweak it a bit, Joeswine style.

2. Make a sparkling fruit mead

3. Make a lower ABV hopped mead

4. Make an actual beer (grain or extract, not sure which yet)

I'm sure I will add more as I think about it.

I would suggest the Stags Leap Merlot. And for beer I would recommend oatmeal Stout it's a dark beer but really smooth. I really enjoyed the Oktoberfest
but the oatmeal Stout has became my fav :b

Actually, my goal is to make more beer. This wine thing is taking time away that I'd normally use for beer production. When I kegged some Pinot Grigio earlier this week for a get together we just got back from, I noticed three lonely Corny kegs, all nice and shiny, needing to be filled. So I bought some grain/hops/yeast and will make a batch on Monday. Will probably have it in the keg in two weeks if all goes well.

Make yourself a batch of skeeter pee now. Come May or so, use one of the empty kegs. Sparkling S.P. when it is hot out. Don't get too much better than that. Arne.

Have to get the freezer cleaned out before the end of may. It is filled with cherries, strawberries, currants, cranberries, maybe some elderberries. Get it empty so when the new fruits get ripe have someplace to store them. Have to do some more bottling and the fermenters will be empty, needs to be a bit warmer so I can start the new wines from the freezer. Vicious circle, lol, Arne.

I have wine that needs to be filtered and bottled, I have wine that needs to be racked, I have kits that need to be started. It was so overwhelming that I set my priorities and I took my wife and eleven year old grandson on a holiday cruise for 8 days! Now that I am back I have wine that needs to be filtered and bottled, I have wine that needs to be racked, I have kits that need to be started.

I will have another drink. I will reset my priorities, tomorrow.

Happy New Year!!!!!

Last edited:
Same as last year....try to keep this red headed wife happy!:h

But, I am really looking forward to this years trip around sun, a new set of seasons, new reasons to smile, laugh, and be happy. I think it is going to be a great year.

Latest posts

Back