What are you making and what have you made ???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currently:
Raisin/Plum Christmas Sherry (1 ga) ready for bottling in 3 months
Serviceberry (Juneberry) (1 ga) ready for bottling next month
Rose Hip (1 ga) just into carboy
Rhubarb (1 ga test batch with increased fruit) just started
Black Raspberry (5 ga) starting today!

My son & I bottled our 2020 Meritage (66.7% Merlot, 33.3% Vinifera Blend) and 2020 Meritage Plus (40% Merlot, 40% Zinfandel, 20% Vinifera Blend), which have been in barrel a year. Filled the barrels with FWK Super Tuscan and blend of FWK Syrah, Petite Sirah, & Merlot. I have a FWK Chardonnay and he has a FWK Riesling in carboys.

The "Vinifera Blend" is 1 lug each Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Malbec, and Petit Verdot.

Current sitch:
6 gallons Skeeter Pee in primary
6 gallons Apres Chocolate Raspberry dessert wine (double batch) nearing bottling time
3 gallon RJS Cru Specialty Toasted Caramel dessert wine nearing bottling time
6 gallons FWK Blackberry nearing bottling time
6 gallons FWK Strawberry nearing bottling time
6 gallons FWK Barbera ready for bottling
2 gallons tomato ready for bottling

On the horizon:
Frozen raspberries for 6ish gallon batch
Frozen peaches for 6ish gallon batch
Pineapple juice for 6ish gallon batch, to be backsweetened with pina colada mix
Orchard Breezin' watermelon 6 gallon kit
Orchard Breezin' peach 6 gallon kit
Probably more tomato this summer/fall - so far, I am liking what I did last year so I want to make more
Possibly more FWK

Pineapple back sweetened with coconut? That sound good, have you done it before?

Pineapple back sweetened with coconut? That sound good, have you done it before?
Nope, it's going to be an experiment! I don't have high hopes for it being clear, though. I suspect the pina colada mix is going to stay cloudy, but I am hoping to get a good, fun wine that's great chilled in the summer.

Primary - Mango (from frozen)
Secondary - passion Fruit from fresh

my first 2
Editing :

passion fruit and now mango in secondary.
i know these will have to go for a while so up next in primary will be dragons blood
I’ve got some frozen lime and lemon juice from my trees to use and next trip to Costco gonna pickup some frozen 3 berry.

What do you think ! Should I use lemon or lime ?

Started 2 gallons Viking blod
that your name for it or is that from long ag0.. i asked because for several years on top of my wines i made everything from old that i could, most was not much, or so i thought, back then i had made a melomel mead, worst of the lot, last year i went to get a case of empty bottles, turned out it was a wild blackberry melomel, and not bad at all, which taught me that when i play around put back 6 bottles, then drink 1 a year, till that 6 year old. i was sick, i have half a case left, it is close to ten years now, and i drink it alone,
Dawg

that your name for it or is that from long ag0.. i asked because for several years on top of my wines i made everything from old that i could, most was not much, or so i thought, back then i had made a melomel mead, worst of the lot, last year i went to get a case of empty bottles, turned out it was a wild blackberry melomel, and not bad at all, which taught me that when i play around put back 6 bottles, then drink 1 a year, till that 6 year old. i was sick, i have half a case left, it is close to ten years now, and i drink it alone,
Dawg
My name for cherry hibiscus mead.
The recipe is based on one in a very old book.

Not a bad plan to keep a few for a few years. I have to get back into the habit of making enough to save for later

@RevA Viking Blood is on my to-do list! Here is a good article on Viking Blod (w/ hibiscus), which originated around 1700 vs. Viking Blood cherry melomel, which goes back to the 1300's. Hibiscus grows in warm climates, and the Vikings did not have this plant. Viking Blood What's the Big Deal?

I am also researching other recipes, including various metheglins (herb meads) made with the herbs that the Vikings used.

@RevA Viking Blood is on my to-do list! Here is a good article on Viking Blod (w/ hibiscus), which originated around 1700 vs. Viking Blood cherry melomel, which goes back to the 1300's. Hibiscus grows in warm climates, and the Vikings did not have this plant. Viking Blood What's the Big Deal?

I am also researching other recipes, including various metheglins (herb meads) made with the herbs that the Vikings used.
i cant answer for others, but to me the big deal, is to know what people from way back drank, mead of old 1300hds drank gerr crap to me, red wine tended to be the same, grain,, fruits,, berries could be kept a short time before it was ruined, but some people beyond their days figured out how not only how to save their crops, but a way to make it much more valuable the movies made it all desirable, all tasty, the truth is, certain liquors
took centuries to prefect, the main reason them old drinks would keep was high ABV and high tannings, taste was not a factor at first, longevity and tradability, the metheglins tended to be medicinal, you can look at it like this a western has saloon girls nope saloons were all men, brothels were where you went for a woman,, but the drinks and women don't play well in movies, no offence to anyone, ,
Dawg

Mango was splash racked a few days ago and is now clearing up nicely. I think another month and it can go in bottles.

2 gals Loquat wine now has been in primary for 7 days. It’s working slowly. Another week might be required.

my next batch I‘m now thinking strawberry mango. I went a little light on the mango I have in secondary now, although it tastes delicious. So I plan on going a little heavier on the frozen mango (I’ve got plenty in the freezer) and was thinking of adding a package of frozen strawberries for a little color and taste.

There's too many fun threads on this forum.

In primary;

WE Classic Diablo Rojo
WE Classic Merlot

In secondary

Raspberry - Frozen garden berries- The one that started it all
White grape- Welch's
Triple berry- frozen berries
VineCo Signature Pinot Gris
WE Reserve Shiraz

Bottled

Skeeter Pee
Dragon's Blood
Malt Hard Lemonade.

I'm excited to see what month 3 of winemaking is going to bring.

have you seen the Kielbasa thread ?

I just found the What's For Dinner thread and that one got me all excited. My brother and I send dinner pics back and forth to share ideas and recipes. I just put half a bison in the freezer and was looking up sausage recipes this afternoon. I am sure I will be all over that thread too.

I am starting to wonder how I am going to do all the things this site is inspiring, find time to post about it, and fit in day to day things like life and bills and such...

Hey Vinny, did your hard malt lemonade clear or did it stay kinda cloudy like Mike’s? Mine is a few weeks post-ferment and it’s still cloudy. I was wondering if it stays that way.

Stayed cloudy. I tried to force it with sparkloid because directions said it would clear in primary if left. The yeast falls out of suspension, but it's not clear by any comparison to wine. When you backsweeten and add more lemonade it gets thicker, but I had some tonight and was more like beer than anything else. Not clear not cloudy.

I am making 2.11 gallons of coffee wine with 18% tolerant yeast. It’s in secondary now. Approximately in a week the fermentation will finish. I’ve started to ferment it on the first day of May.

I have made cherry, orange, cinnamon tea, apricot, red grape wine.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back