What are you making and what have you made ???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thankyou sour grapes....I have made white cranberry from a kit and am currently making blueberry wine from frozen wild maine blueberries. On a lark I am making 1/2 gallon of a 100% juice in the jug in which it came (saw a you tube which gave me the idea). It started fermenting within 2 hrs. For the price of $2.79 it was worth the gamble, I thought. LOL

Just started a mulberry wine. Started with 30 pounds of frozen berries and now have a 6 gallon batch going. Excited to see how it turns out

Hi Izzy, I just found the skull foto on the internet then used my phone and some foto apps to filter and color a little. Added text using avery’s label template website. I usually just print a few as gifts from a batch but leave most unlabeled for home use.

Cheers!
-johann

The Avery 22827 labels are also easily removable and 4-3/4" x 3-1/2". Perfect size for a 750. If I do label a whole batch I'll use the Avery 5162 address labels which are 1-1/3" x 4" and wrap them around the shrink wrap closure on the neck so they're easy to remove when you open the bottle. Small but good for ID and a couple small notes.

Cheers!
-johann

Hi Izzy, I just found the skull foto on the internet then used my phone and some foto apps to filter and color a little. Added text using avery’s label template website. I usually just print a few as gifts from a batch but leave most unlabeled for home use.

Cheers!
-johann
Thanks Johann. I am afraid I am not as technology-advanced as you to us foto apps...filter...color, etc. Oh my! I will definately go to Avery's website. I guess I will have to stick with ordering my labels online. Thanks again

I started a couple vinegars this weekend. One from a red blend and another from a white blend - Added a sprig of rosemary and a couple sprigs of oregano form the garden to the white. All I did was add some vinegar mother into a mason jar topped with the wine. Cover with cheesecloth and set it in the back of the cabinet - well away from the winery lol.

Cheers!
-johann

Yesterday we bottled 5 cases of “Black Blue C” That’s a blend of 25% Blackberry, 25% Blueberry, and 50% Cabernet. It’s awesome! It’s 2 years old and spent one year in the barrel. Concentrates came from Home Winery Supply in Dundee Mi. Roy

Reference the blend, did you make a Blackberry wine, a Blueberry wine, and a Cab then blend them or did you blend them all in primary?

Another new winemaker from the Pandemic.
WE Pinot Grigio (1 gallon) just bottled yesterday, pretty palatable for first try.
Followed kit directions except I racked it after only 10 days when Sp Grav was already down to 0.996.
Racked it twice because I needed some practice siphoning to avoid all the crystal settlement (is that still the lees, even if the yeast is gone?).

I bought two identical 1 gallon WE World Explorer Ca Cab Sauv kits with the intent of experimenting with second kit.
The first one was racked yesterday after a full two weeks in primary fermenter. Would love to hear comments about when to oak, the kit said with primary fermentation which I did.
Would be interested in thoughts about oaking in the glass carboy, post primary fermentation, when I do the second kit, any benefit from that? Any thoughts on whether to use the kit oak or get some other material?

Have a 6 gallon WE Lodi Zin kit with skins in transit, really looking forward to that, I love some Sonoma Zins!

Cheers

Picked Blueberries all weekend. Been freezing about 3 lbs of blackberries every 3rd day or so. (big sweet thornless--primocane blackberries).
So started berry wine must last night. 12lb blackberries and 9 1/2 lbs blueberries. 8.lb cane syrup made last winter. Check S.G. tonight to see if any more sugar needed. my standard 5 gallon recipe for berry wine.
Figs getting close to ripe... grapes getting bigger and passionfruit falling from vines for the first time. Cant wait to try my hand at passionfruit wine.

I have the following fermenting as of 6/30/20

Jalapeno/vegetable (to use in Bloody Mary's)
Cherry
Strawberry
Rhubarb
Blood Orange Sangria
SP
DDDB
Banana/Pineapple
Spicy Banana/Pineapple
Maine Wild Blueberry
From bottled organic juice the following:
Pomegranate/Plum (Aldi)
Mango/Tangerine (Aldi)
Cherry Blend (Giant Eagle)
Pomegranate/Cranberry (Aldi)
7 Super Fruits (Aldi)

Gee, I didn't realize just how "busy" I have been. My problem is, I haven't been able to drink any of them given the stage of fermentation.....Bummer..........Dizzy.

Bottling day! It is July 1, so I guess I better get my "summer wine" into bottles, huh? Mrs. Sour_grapes has been growing impatient... :)

This is a 2019 Viognier from juice from the Yakima Valley AVA in Washington, with an ABV of ~13.8%.

It came out good, but a bit astringent and bone dry, almost tart. I debated sweetening it a bit, and then I decided to go two ways with it. I bottled about half as is, and I did bench trials to determine a residual sugar level I was happy with for the other half. I started my trials with 2 g/L RS, but this had no discernible difference. I widened the scale to 0-20 g/L. I liked 10 best, and 5 about the same. I went halfway between, and put ~7.7 g/L along with the proper dose of fresh sorbate. (Just as a side note, this raised the SG from 0.990 to 0.992.)

I wound up with 14 bottles of dry wine, which I put into Bordeaux bottles (as it is evocative of Sauv. Blanc, even though it is Viognier). And I put the remaining off-dry wine into 16 Burgundy bottles (as it is more similar to a fat, Loire or Rhone Valley style). Now I will be able to tell the difference!

IMG_8779.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back