What are you making and what have you made ???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I aged mine a bit, but they were ready and tasted good at the 3-6 month range.
Thanks for the info.

I have several ports aging, one is nearly 3 years old. I'll be using the older ones, doing my best to stay away from the younger ones for a while. I have FAR more dessert wines made than I visualize needing in 5 years, but that is the best way to ensure wine has a chance to age -- gotta make more than you drink. Curiosity is not just a cat trait.

Of course, when this year's port kits come out, I'll have to consider things ...

-Concord grape wine (very 1st attempt, ZERO clue what I was doing. Found out I'd better do some research!) bleh..
-Concord grape wine (2nd attempt) pretty good at first, very good after 4 years. - 5 gal
-Blueberry wine - 1 gal
-Moscato wine - 5 gal
-Old world Moscato wine - 15 gal
-Semi-sweet Apple wine -3 gal
-Sweet Apple wine - 2 gal
-Dandelion wine - 1 gal
-Rhubarb wine - 1 gal
-Pear wine (1st time) - 1 gal
-Peach wine - 1 gal
-Pear wine (2nd time) - 3 gal
-Strawberry wine - 1 gal
-Apple wine (again) - 5 gal
-Rose Petal wine (finishing) - 1 gal
-Cranberry wine (finishing) - 1 gal

-Orange Mead - 1 gal
-Tangerine/Cinnamon Mead - 1 gal
-Syr Michael of York Mead - 1 gal

-AppleJack - Started with 5 gal; yield 1.75 gal

Next up is another batch of Rhubarb wine, Cherry wine, Skeeter Pee and Dragon's Blood. I'd like to try Pineapple wine too soon.

JustJoe would you mind posting your Rhubarb recipe? Getting ready to try it again and looking for variations.

Made a cranberry wine from 100 percent juice. It was extemely tart - like sucked your whole face in! However, as a recovery experiemnt we mixed a 750ml bottle of the wine with one liter of mandarin flavored sparkling water, threw in cut up apples, pears, even pineaplle and had a very enjoyable sangria

-Concord grape wine (very 1st attempt, ZERO clue what I was doing. Found out I'd better do some research!) bleh..
-Concord grape wine (2nd attempt) pretty good at first, very good after 4 years. - 5 gal
-Blueberry wine - 1 gal
-Moscato wine - 5 gal
-Old world Moscato wine - 15 gal
-Semi-sweet Apple wine -3 gal
-Sweet Apple wine - 2 gal
-Dandelion wine - 1 gal
-Rhubarb wine - 1 gal
-Pear wine (1st time) - 1 gal
-Peach wine - 1 gal
-Pear wine (2nd time) - 3 gal
-Strawberry wine - 1 gal
-Apple wine (again) - 5 gal
-Rose Petal wine (finishing) - 1 gal
-Cranberry wine (finishing) - 1 gal

-Orange Mead - 1 gal
-Tangerine/Cinnamon Mead - 1 gal
-Syr Michael of York Mead - 1 gal

-AppleJack - Started with 5 gal; yield 1.75 gal

Next up is another batch of Rhubarb wine, Cherry wine, Skeeter Pee and Dragon's Blood. I'd like to try Pineapple wine too soon.

JustJoe would you mind posting your Rhubarb recipe? Getting ready to try it again and looking for variations.
Sure - here's the recipe I use

2019 Rhubarb batch 1

24 pounds rhubarb
1 can frozen pineapple juice
Sugar to reach 1.091SG
lalvin 71B yeast
½ tsp Pectic enzyme
¼ tsp Kmeta

Chop rhubarb into ¼ inch slices and freeze it. Put frozen rhubarb into large enameled pot and add frozen pineapple juice add 3 cans of hot water and heat until any frozen rhubarb has melted. Add 4 pounds of sugar and crush rhubarb while heating to 165 degrees. Put mesh bag into fermenter and pour fruit into the bag. Add cold water to bring it up to 6.5 gallons.

Add sugar to reach SG 1.090, add pectic enzyme. 1 hour later add ¼ tsp Kmeta and set aside overnight.

Next day added sugar to 1.091. pitched yeast. Fermentation temp 67F

On Sunday, I bought a 7.9 gal Speidel fermenter (my first big splurge) and started a batch of the WE World Vineyards Australian GSM (with grape skins). It's my second batch of wine and first red. Very excited about this one! I love reds.

Arriving in the next day or two is an Island Mist kit (Peach Apricot Chardonnay). I wasn't interested in these at first, but the heat is starting to pick up here in Texas, so a nice cold, low-alcohol wine cooler type of beverage is now sounding more appealing. LOL I am going to make it a little higher ABV (shooting for ~9%) and will add 1/2 the f-pack to primary (don't want the finished wine really sweet, just off dry). I would really like to carb it like my ciders, but I'm not sure how... I have flip-top bottles I could put it in. I might try with just one or two bottles and see how it turns out.

List of batches (wine only):
* WE Vintner's Reserve Gewurztraminer (started 6/2/19)
* WE World Vineyards Australian GSM (started 6/23/19)
* WE Island Mist Peach Apricot Chardonnay (next up, maybe this weekend)

The 2 newest ferments, ,
* sumach/ banana water: a gallon to concept test
* rhurbarb blush: 23.5 kg rhubarb, a percent raspberry, , darn when moving to secondary I couldn’t get it into a 6 gallon better bottle so baptized a big mouth bubbler. learning curve here since the CO2 bypassed the cover and or air lock, , I found a silicone funnel that would stretch seal it like a balloon.

* next ferment should be mulberry, , they are just entering red stage

Just finished a little over 5 g of DB or as we call it Bella Rosso. Next on my agenda will be 5 g of pears from fruit frozen last year. Then a short break till fall grape is in.
Joe

Read the forum a few times a week. Thanks for the experiences and recipes shared. Newbie winemaker here. Already experimented with a few forum tips.

Well I only started homebrewing last year with a dandelion wine. But this year I started up for real.

In bottles:
-Dandelion wine
-Dragon blood original
-Rhubarb pie braggot
-Orange oat saison braggot
-Lapsang souchong kombucha
-Spiced cider
-Saffron rosewater chai cider
-Ginger jasmine green tea apple wine

Secondary/bulk aging:
-Spiced Lapsang souchang sack mead
-Linden blossom/leaf/honey mead
-WE Barbaresco style kit with skins (extended maceration on skins)
-Gooseberry wine (from 13.7kg of berries I picked myself)

To be bottled:
-Lichtenhaidromel (hybrid between lichtenhainer and hydromel)
-Kveik cider brewed with TYB Sigmund Voss Kveik (half cinnamon, half unspiced)
-Dragon blood with extra blueberry and blackberry

To brew in the next couple of months:
-BOMM Traditional mead of rapeseed blossom honey
-BOMM Traditional mead of "forest" honey
-Brut ipa with gooseberries
-Gooseberry red currant dragon blood (bulk of berries which I picked myself)
-Raspberry lime dragon blood
-Some kind of spiced beer-mead-wine hybrid for Christmas, sort of like Dogfish Head Midas Touch
-Pumpkin spice mead
-Cranberry-lingon wine
-Persimmon wine
-WE Luna Bianca (sur lie and battonage)
-Rhubarb wine

Last edited:
I have been busy and I have a good bit going, some needing to be bottled, some in bulk aging and some that was made recently. Beside, the Italian and California juices will be here in a couple of months!100_1334.JPG
Two demijohns of Nero D'Avola 100_1335.JPG
27 gallons of "Debutante" (a blend of several reds) and 7 gallons of Nocturnal (WinExpert kit) 100_1336.JPG
5 gallons of Black Cabernet Sauvignon (WE kit) and 17 gallons of Traminer Riesling 100_1337.JPG
14 gallons of Sauvignon Blanc and 14 gallons of Riesling 100_1338.JPG
13 gallons of Malbec 100_1339.JPG
13 gallons of Carmenere 100_1340.JPG
5 gallons of my "low expectations" Malbec, made from some old concentrate and many tweaks. Not one of my best but it is surprisingly improving.

Back