What are you making and what have you made ???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right now in working on two gallons of blueberry wine, two gallons of Concord blueberry wine and one gallon of plum blueberry wine.

I'm unsure of the Symphony/Gewurztraminer -- the preliminary taste post-fermentation was not good. The wine is fine, but the grape combination had no gewurztraminer character. Yeah, it's totally green but I can get a hint of what the result will be after aging. I tasted again last night and I'm still getting no gewurztraminer character. From that POV it's disappointing, but I expect the final result will be a decent table wine.
Have you tried it lately?

Making a Shiraz, mixed both EC1118 and some Gran Cru Champagne yeast and they started off slowly. That was expected as the brewing room averages around 70F during the Winter. Will just take a bit longer to get down below the 1.0 SG point. No problem as wine making is a Patience sport.

I started a tester 1 gallon batch of banana a few days ago. I kinda winged it on the sugar so it started at 1.110. 3.5lbs of bananas after peeling, 3 pounds sugar, 1.5lbs of frozen strawberries. Not expecting much flavor out of the berries but decided to throw them in last minute. It smells absolutely divine so I am hoping for the best. I may throw together a 5 gallon batch of peach tonight as well.

I have my first batch of wine made with petite pearl grapes aging right now. It's on its 2nd racking and getting ready for filtering and 3rd racking.

Did my first MLF on this one. Not sure how it's all going to turn out... but the MLF is complete, so thanks to everyone who told me I need to run a chromatography test, I didnt know!

I started a tester 1 gallon batch of banana a few days ago. I kinda winged it on the sugar so it started at 1.110. 3.5lbs of bananas after peeling, 3 pounds sugar, 1.5lbs of frozen strawberries. Not expecting much flavor out of the berries but decided to throw them in last minute. It smells absolutely divine so I am hoping for the best. I may throw together a 5 gallon batch of peach tonight as well.

Keep us posted

Last night I transferred a 6-gallon batch of peach from the primary to the secondary. Primary started 14 days ago, I had sliced up a whole medium size pineapple and added it to the primary 7 days ago. There was a lot of peach pulp on the bottom of the primary and the pineapple was floating on top and did its job, I scooped pineapple out before transfer. The starting gravity reading pre-fermentation was 1.106 and last night gravity was 1.010. Used D47 yeast. Ferment room constant temp 61 degrees F. I slowly drank about 6 ounces to taste test. There was enough residual sugar, so it was ok tasting at this stage of the process. So far so good. It's fermenting in the secondary. I might add a 1/2 gallon of apple juice to the secondary to make up for some of the volume loss from the peach pulp left at the bottom of the primary.

Last edited:
I have my first batch of wine made with petite pearl grapes aging right now. It's on its 2nd racking and getting ready for filtering and 3rd racking.

Did my first MLF on this one. Not sure how it's all going to turn out... but the MLF is complete, so thanks to everyone who told me I need to run a chromatography test, I didnt know!

Did you taste test? lol

Helped last fall 2019 harvest of petite pearl at a local vineyard. I have a bottle of 2018 PP that was back sweetened with honey. I've viewed some web sites that sell starter vines. I might plant a dozen cold climate grapevines in my Back Yard this coming spring.

Spent some time bottling and racking. Racked down and sulfited a cab sav and petite verdot from must and a merlot juice bucket fermented on skins. Made about four gallons of an early blend of the three for top up and testing (22 bottles) - i’m calling it the coronavirus 2020 as it contains grapes and juice from CA, WA, and NY. Bottled a Viognier kit which is very good. Started four more white kits.

Cheers to all and be safe.
-johann

I just pitched yeast into my “Pandemic Peach” and ordered some labels.

Attachments

• 3F08E564-66B8-44ED-A494-BFC5127073A9.jpeg
    3F08E564-66B8-44ED-A494-BFC5127073A9.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 13
  • D1BA84C7-3131-4429-8712-FE382CD6572F.jpeg
    D1BA84C7-3131-4429-8712-FE382CD6572F.jpeg
    398.4 KB · Views: 13
Four whites chugging along. Left to right WE Trinity, Symphony, Riesling, and Pinot Blanc. Started 3/22 so maybe they’re almost ready to rack. I didn’t measure starting gravity and haven’t taken any measurements yet. The shame....68081997-C9FD-44F8-BE03-8D7196A42CA2.jpeg

I've got 3 gallons of Blueberry bulk aging, 1 gallon of Syr Michael of York Mead clearing, 2 gallons of Pineapple in secondary, 3 gallons of Cranberry in primary and prepping 1 gallon of rhubarb, all going right now. Self-quarantining is helping get things done for sure! Looking forward to local strawberries to do a 3 gallon batch this year.

B98DA9B5-3240-4658-BE99-9E9A7D31BA68.jpeg
Racked these off the gross lees and down to topped off 5gallon carboys. Blended the extra from all into a 3g which i’ll top up with something else. That was a couple days ago and one has finished after about a month of AF. The others are close to finishing and have still dropped a good bit more sediment but still making bubbles in the airlock. I’ll move to clearing them soon for a quick turn around.

Cheers!
Johann

I make organic wine from everything I can get. Currently I have one gallon each of cherry and wild blueberry. They are both almost ready to bottle. I have enough rhubarb and apples in the freezer to make 3 gallon batches of each of those. I have a 3 gallon carbuoy with bung, as well as equipment to make 5 one gallon batches at one time.

In the past I have made 5 gallon batches of rose petal (twice), strawberry, wild raspberry, blackberry, rhubarb (twice), crabapple, wild grape, ground cherry. I have made one gallon batches of sugar-snap-pea-pod, maple, chocolate-mint (LOVED it!), apple, dandelion. There have been others in the past that I have made 5 gal and 1 gal batches from that I just don't remember.

I plan to make chocolate mint wine again.

Sheryl - would you mind sharing your chocolate mint recipe? Just got back into making wine after a 3 year "dry" spell. Thanks!

So as I stated in my last post, just getting back into this after a 3 year "dry" spell in winemaking due to moving. Yes, it took me three years to move, especially with 4 kids. LOL. Anyway, broke out the equipment and went for my dragon blood recipe. I started a strawberry/peach/pinapple/mango/banana dragon blood recipe over the weekend. Nothing else to due in quarantine. :) So, we will see how it goes. Also, had the kids help out, I am up to 24 cups of dandelion flowers. Hoping for another 12 cups and then I can get a 3 gallon batch of dandelion going. It's good to be back!20200425_115938.jpg20200427_084259.jpg20200425_121631.jpg

Did you place banana mash into your primary?

What is MLF?

Spent some time bottling and racking. Racked down and sulfited a cab sav and petite verdot from must and a merlot juice bucket fermented on skins. Made about four gallons of an early blend of the three for top up and testing (22 bottles) - i’m calling it the coronavirus 2020 as it contains grapes and juice from CA, WA, and NY. Bottled a Viognier kit which is very good. Started four more white kits.

Cheers to all and be safe.
-johann
Don't know whether you label any bottles for gifts, but I found a coronavirus label online which I have ordered. It is really cute.....pictures of the virus on the label and saying "Corona Red". I added the word "Cherry" so that I will use that label for my cherry concentrate.

Latest posts

Back