What are you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What am I doing today?????

Getting my butt kicked trying to check the acidity using my PH Meter!!!

I think I finally have the math down, But as I drop the Sodium Hydroxide in my test.... The meter jumps way up.... Then SLOWLY counts back down....

Am I missing something? (I am stirring as i drip)

It will be easier to do the calculating if you get the right solution so you don't need to do conversions. It CAN be a direct relation so there is no error.

I'm spoiled now with the Hannah test meter. It has automatic titration, magnetic stirrer and readout along with the built in pH meter. It beeps when done and you are given the reading on a digital readout.

You guys are too mathematical for me .Im more of a winger myself. I test the whole batch to see where I am and adjust there. I dont play around with test tubes and it may take me longer to get there adding little by little but I never was one for equations. If Timmy had a PH meter and 3 gallons of wine @..... well you know where Im going. K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid is my modo!

Added CDB yeast today to my candy cane wine (3gal)

Candy Cane Wine!?!?!?!
20101229_100500_headscratch.gif

Mike I think you should get on board with it to. At least go get your candy canes now while they're on sale (Wally world .44). Im going heavy with it and bought 30 boxes. An extra six in case I need an f-pac. I'll be making a 6.5-7 gallon batch to start with. the extra is for topping up.

I will post my recipe when I am ready to make. Just got the candy canes ready last night. I am going to throw in about 11 cans of Welches white grape concentrate (I cleaned out the store) and also some banana soup. I got the banana's and now I'm waiting for them to ripen. Many people that make this complain its to thin.

ibglowin said:
This just sounds crazy!
smiley29.gif

What do you put into it besides a boat load of candy canes?

3 gallon recipe

96 candy canes
6 cans niagara grape concentrate (Welch's frozen white grape concentrate).

1/8 tsp k-meta
5 tsp yeast nutrient (high because this is hard to get yeast started)
3 tsp acid blend (should check acid level and modify accordingly)
Starting SG 1.090 (You may need to add additional sugar)

3/4 tsp Wine Tannin
1 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme

Boil candy canes in 1 gallon water until dissolved
put grape concentrate in primary (after thawing)
Pour candy cane solution into primary
Add water to make total 3 1/2 gallons (1/2 gallon for top up later)

After 24 hours:
Yeast lalvin EC-1118 (chosen for it's ability to ferment just about anything)
Make yeast starter - rehydrate yeast, add some must and let it start. Add more and let it start. Add this to primary.

After a few rackings and clearing, add potassium sorbate to stabilize. Then at next racking add candy cane flavor pack.

Candy Cane Flavor pac (f-pac) for sweetening:

24 candy canes
1 1/4 cup water

Boil water, add candy canes and dissolve. Allow to boil down to approximately 1 cup. Cool and use to sweeten wine.
My personal preference is that if it has to be sweet then it's semi-sweet. Adjust the amount of sugar to your preference. 2 cups may be more to your liking, and you may have to use more candy canes or add sugar.

tepe said:
Sure
(Dan) AKA Runningwolf is also making it

So... as your mother would say... Just because Runningwolf jumps off a cliff doesn't mean U should too.......

smiley36.gif

I was the 1st to jump.. He followed me. Mine is bubbling away...
He had some 4 letter words when taking all the plastic off the candy canes.. LOL
smiley36.gif

Holy crap Tomis right. I had two primary buckets, one for the canes and one for the wrappers. You would throw a wrapper in the bucket and six would come out clinging to your hand. If you dropped a piece of candy in the wrapper bucket and reached into it your arm came out loaded with wrappers. Not being sticky just very clingy. My wife won't let me start it till after New Years when there won't be anymore company coming. She's afraid of how strong the pepperment might be.
Not seeing Tom's recipe before, this is almost exactly the same as I was going to do, except I won't be as stingy on the candy cane (288/6.5 gal).

runningwolf said:
Holy crap Tomis right. I had two primary buckets, one for the canes and one for the wrappers. You would throw a wrapper in the bucket and six would come out clinging to your hand. If you dropped a piece of candy in the wrapper bucket and reached into it your arm came out loaded with wrappers. Not being sticky just very clingy. My wife won't let me start it till after New Years when there won't be anymore company coming. She's afraid of how strong the pepperment might be.
Not seeing Tom's recipe before, this is almost exactly the same as I was going to do, except I won't be as stingy on the candy cane (288/6.5 gal).
The recipe I used was posted on another forum. It is not mine

This is a first for me....

A 3 gallon batch of Blackberry Port bubbling over and out of a 8 gallon primary bucket!!!

20101229_160627_Blackberryport_.JPG

Got it cleaned up a bit....

20101229_160757_Blackberryport_.JPG

Wow, a 3 gallon batch bubbling over a 7.9 bucket??? What the heck do you have in there Joel? that candy cane recipe has been around for many years on another forum. One of these years I might try it, anyone ever taste it?

It's crazy...

Keep in mind.... I had already started clean up before it dawned on me that I should get a picture. It was everywhere. It had pushed the lid half off, juice running down the sides..... Craziness!!! haha

I first read this candy cane post & thought this has to be a joke. Now i'm interested. Please start a thread or continue to post your alls results on this batch. Hummm-- wonder how chocolate covered cherries would do?

Latest posts

Back