What are the worse descriptors someone else used to describe your wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My family members are my biggest critics and I was chuckling at some of the notes we wrote in our barrel tasting journal, back when I first started making wine on my own.

"Smells like Puppy Breath"
"Smells like the basement floor after a Frat party"
"Smells like dirty socks were wearing dirty socks"

My family members are my biggest critics and I was chuckling at some of the notes we wrote in our barrel tasting journal, back when I first started making wine on my own.

"Smells like Puppy Breath"
"Smells like the basement floor after a Frat party"
"Smells like dirty socks were wearing dirty socks"
lol wth

A number of years ago I had a syrah that had a run with H2S and developed some mercaptan odor (of course RC212 was used). A good friend of mine was tasting with me, and he didn't hold back at all, said it smelled like poo-poo. The funny thing is, that didn't stop him from drinking it.

In an attempt to give compliment, a coworker that I gave a bottle of cranberry as a thank you gift said, it was way better than mad dog.

I later heard him talking to another coworker, explaining that if he new knew how to buy wine like it he would drink more wine. Lol why didn't he say that too me.

I think that particular batch compares to white zin, and recommended him a couple to try.
I then told him to not compare my wine to anything sold at 7-11 unless he didn't like it, but that saying he liked something he didn't would be worse

Just this morning, my dad and I bottled one of our 2016 blends, then racked the 2018 Chilean Carmenere/Petite Verdot. It has some pretty good vegetal notes right now. When he tasted it, he just said, 'well, that one's gonna take some time'. Fortunately, his reaction to the 2016 blend was much more favorable. :i

Just this morning, my dad and I bottled one of our 2016 blends, then racked the 2018 Chilean Carmenere/Petite Verdot. It has some pretty good vegetal notes right now. When he tasted it, he just said, 'well, that one's gonna take some time'. Fortunately, his reaction to the 2016 blend was much more favorable. :i
Haha,yeah vegetal notes are funky my Grenache/Syrah had some funky vegetal notes for like all of primary. Smelled like okra or bell pepper.

One of my friends told me that my Sangio/Merlot blend smells like his grandpa's old leather jacket. Although it wasn't 'the worst', I'd probably say it's the most specific one lol.

Have you tried bentonite yet?

My notes show I added only about an ounce for 6 gallons. I believe I used some out of a pack from a Kit I did not use and added hot water as directed to make a slurry then poured in after cooling and mixed it well into the wine and let it sit for a few weeks and did a smell test and then taste test.

Um, no. Dosage?

Yes, yes. I understand the fun nature of this topic.

But..... Wine faults have discernible characteristics. If it ain't on an official aroma/flavor wheel, random comments that are not on the wheel don't really help much for one wanting to perfect their wine making art.

But.... For what it is worth.... "Horse Manure" in on the wheel. So “This one tastes like shit”, may actually be helpful. :)

Yes, yes. I understand the fun nature of this topic.

But..... Wine faults have discernible characteristics. If it ain't on an official aroma/flavor wheel, random comments that are not on the wheel don't really help much for one wanting to perfect their wine making art.

But.... For what it is worth.... "Horse Manure" in on the wheel. So “This one tastes like shit”, may actually be helpful. :)

No need to point out the obvious. Remember the question was “worst descriptors” not “most helpful descriptors”.
I happily take the critique, and then take it upon myself to find the characteristics leading to his thinking that. Usually if that is said I’d imagine the wine flaw to be pretty darn blatant and actual descriptor not to be taken literal, which is also obvious- unless it does taste like horse manure- which it didn’t.
But the flavor wheel link is still much appreciated.

Last edited:
Remember the question was “worst descriptors” not “most helpful descriptors”.

I didn't forget to remember. That is why I started with "Yes, yes". And ended with :) **

Maybe I am being a party pooper with my comment. But after all, my comment was about a reference to poop. :)

No need to point out the obvious.

----snip----

the wine flaw to be pretty darn blatant and actual descriptor not to be taken literal, which is also obvious- unless it does taste like horse manure- which it didn’t.

Well.. I don't know if it was obvious or not. And some people can take anything literally. :) After all, if you think about it, among those connoisseur of shit, there is horse, cat, dog, etc. etc. etc. All smell and taste different. The tastes and smell of shit may be like wine: some people may actually consider that all some serious shit.... :)

** :) or similar is international language for comments to not be taken too literally or seriously. :)

Last edited:
I didn't forget to remember. That is why I started with "Yes, yes". And ended with :) **

Maybe I am being a party pooper with my comment. But after all, my comment was about a reference to poop. :)

Well.. I don't know if it was obvious or not. And some people can take anything literally. :) After all, if you think about it, among those connoisseur of shit, there is horse, cat, dog, etc. etc. etc. All smell and taste different. The tastes and smell of shit may be like wine: some people may actually consider that all some serious shit.... :)

** :) or similar is international language for comments to not be taken too literally or seriously. :)

It’s Monday morning. Maybe I’m just pooped from the weekend and misinterpreted your comment. Glad we avoided a shit-storm. :)

They see the line of carboys and want to do a tasting. I’m all for it. Other Real comments I’ve received (all when sampling from carboys)

“I don’t like when I can taste the wood”

“Is it still fermenting?”

“Did you use a garden hose when you siphoned?”

Any honest feedback is helpful. Always the same few people. And all gave approval by the time wines were bottled. Trying to groom them to be experienced evaluators and tasting throughout the process.

Unfortunately I’m not in any wine cliques to get professional type feedback. Which is a reason I like to send bottles to competitions and I put a lot of value in the scoring charts and notes I receive back.

One of my female neighbors at a wine tasting said my RJS Super Tuscan tasted like "mop water".

Previously her husband told me that he prefers his wine "to be more alcohol-forward" than mine were.

Latest posts

Back