What are the worse descriptors someone else used to describe your wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't forget to remember. That is why I started with "Yes, yes". And ended with :) **

Maybe I am being a party pooper with my comment. But after all, my comment was about a reference to poop. :)

Well.. I don't know if it was obvious or not. And some people can take anything literally. :) After all, if you think about it, among those connoisseur of shit, there is horse, cat, dog, etc. etc. etc. All smell and taste different. The tastes and smell of shit may be like wine: some people may actually consider that all some serious shit.... :)

** :) or similar is international language for comments to not be taken too literally or seriously. :)
Hahaha, you are funny.

Just this morning, my dad and I bottled one of our 2016 blends, then racked the 2018 Chilean Carmenere/Petite Verdot. It has some pretty good vegetal notes right now. When he tasted it, he just said, 'well, that one's gonna take some time'. Fortunately, his reaction to the 2016 blend was much more favorable. :i

Dad and I racked my 2018 Chilean Cab/Merlot/Carmenere blend last night, and he said nearly the same thing. He puckered his mouth and said "WooHoo! That might be alright in two or three years." Kinda hurt my feelings. :)

Early on I was so excited to be making wine that I mistakenly took some samples of wine batches that had just finished fermenting to family (Wife's family.) . I already knew they would need sweetening up along with lots of aging but there I was with my first 2-3 batches wanting some reaction. Well I don't remember the descriptions but the faces told me I had made a big mistake. NEVER, EVER let anyone taste a wine that is young, and (Especially a fruit wine) unsweetened. Unless it is someone I know from these boards or someone with experience making wine... I'm the only person to taste test my wine until I am ready to back-sweeten/bottle.

And most importantly, I watch faces, When tasting it's almost impossible for a person to hide their true reaction on their face. They can pause and say anything but that facial expression/response tells everything. Even a momentary flinch or twitch etc, tells you something isn't what you expected. Now if I don't tell them a little ahead of time - what to expect then that's on me but otherwise... that face tells all.

Of course there are those you want to ambush with something like a TART Cherry wine. Then the reaction is priceless, especially if you know they like sweet wines.

When I was transitioning to wine making from beer, I experimented with welches, frozen berries and such and was told by a lawyer buddy that I make "date rape " wine. The ABV's were a little high.

But the worst descriptors for me is getting no feedback, good or bad, from bottles I've given away.

"But the worst descriptors for me is getting no feedback, good or bad, from bottles I've given away. "

Certainly disappointing but, on the other hand it makes it easy to decide to whom I will give wine to in the future. Since I retired from a large retail store, the store manager and I get along great and he has been very appreciative of the wine I have given him and in fact, 'donated' to my wine making cause in return or 3 bottles. A couple of other said nothing about the wine I gave them and that makes it easy, they will never be offered any more wine.

So I count such things as lesson's learned.

Back