What a great guy!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
a while back, @balatonwine and I were talking about "things we miss" and got on the subject of REAL Hungarian paprika.

There is nothing like REAL Hungarian paprika. The garbage that they pass off in the USA stores is red, and a powder, but that is where the similarities end. Even the so called "imported" paprika simply sucks!

Now, I have family in Hungary, and each time I visit them I make sure to bring back several pounds of the stuff (a good mix of both hot and sweet). But, it has been a very long time (several years) since we visited. As a result, my REAL Hungarian paprika supply has long since been used up.

ooooooh the shame!!!

Well, thanks to the generosity and charity of our own @balatonwine I just received this!!! I told my whole family and we are definitely cooking this sunday! I have not decided between Goulash or Porkolt, but a slow simmer stew will be on the table! We may even do a chicken paprikas!!! Definitely gonna make some nokedli (spatzle) and also a nice crisp cucumber salad. OH MAN, I am drueling on my keyboard!!!

[URL='https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=drooling&id=806B1E08EE03D0B22D77EF04204756C7C1B92076&FORM=IQFRBA'] [/URL]

Many thanks @balatonwine ! You are truly a prince among men!!! Thanks also to your wife (who did the purchasing). I am truly in your debt!!!

img_20180109_164321-jpg.45788

Nice, getting real stuff.
Every time we goto Paraguay, or family comes/goes, we load up on real vanilla powder. It's so much better than the stuff at grocery stores.
Only downside is explaining to customs officials what the powder in 100 little 1tsp sized baggies is :)

But, it has been a very long time (several years) since we visited. As a result, my REAL Hungarian paprika supply has long since been used up.

Which is understandable when one had good paprika on hand. Too easy to dash a bit into everything to enhance the flavor. :)

As anyone knows who ventures into any Hungarian restaurant in Hungary will notice that there are not just two spice shakers on the table (salt and pepper) but three (salt, pepper and paprika).

I have not decided between Goulash or Porkolt, but a slow simmer stew will be on the table! We may even do a chicken paprikas!!! Definitely gonna make some nokedli (spatzle) and also a nice crisp cucumber salad. OH MAN, I am drueling on my keyboard!!!

All excellent choices. Also a good fish soup (Hungarian style with the hot paprika) is to consider.

And, as an aside regarding cooking Pörkölt, there is this wonderful article a very good friend of mine published at one of my blogs:

Texas Chili and Hungarian Pörkölt: A cultural parallel with Capsicum

(Side note, my wife won a local Pörkölt cooking competition. :) )

..... Also a good fish soup (Hungarian style with the hot paprika) is to consider.
(Side note, my wife won a local Pörkölt cooking competition. :) )

... Ahhhh! Hungarian fish soup. Unbelievably good (and I am not much of a fish guy). I had it once in Hungary, but it was cooked in a free spinning pot over an open fire. I tried to make it at home (on the stove) and it was not even close to the one I had in Hungary.

She won a competition? Care to share her secrets (or does she not trust anyone with the recipe)?

also, I am willing to be that a lot of Austrian/Hungarians settled in Texas. Take a look at one of their staples, chicken fried steak. This is nothing more than viener schnitzel.

Latest posts

Back