What a day!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry0220

Reaction score
Started the day out by taking out my frozen peaches. I could have sworn that I had more,,me thinks the youngest daughter helped herself to some when I wasn't around, oh well, at least they didn't go to waste. I even went as far as looking through all three freezer compartments to make sure that there wasn't some hiding somewhere in there. But I also did find some frozen blackberries, blueberries and elderberries. That being said, I only ended up with 13# of frozen cut up peaches,,what to do? What else,,headed to the store, figured ok, not full peach, then (gasp) frozen concentrate (LOL). Ended up seeing, since I am a newbie at homewinemaking, that in the frozen section, not only was there, white grape, there was 100% white grape peach!!! So I bought 8 cans of those and 8 cans of white grape. Then what the heck,,got 8 cans of 100% grape and 8 cans of white grape raspberry. Figured, since I was gonna be stuck in the house most of the week I may as well do something that I like. Once home, I started sanitizing a 6 gal carboy, and all that was needed to rack my strawberry along with two primaries. In sanitizing my hydrometer,,you guessed it, I broke it,,but as luck has it,,I know myself and had a back up! The strawberry when tested had a sg of 1.000,,alittle too dry wanted the strawberry to come through, so I added a thawed can of the white grape concentrate, brought it up to 1.006. Not bad, but will taste it again tomorrow. ~Jule~ would you like to come over and give it a taste and some input?? You know you are welcome anytime!! OK, on to my peaches. In the primary I disolved (as much as one can) 2 tsp of bentonite, added 6 Campton tablets, put the peaches into my stainer bag, added 8 cans of the grape-peach and 4 cans of the white grape, filled each can with water and added to the primary. also added 51/2 tsp of pectic enzyme. Will check this later to see the temp and get a sg reading. ( I know still need to add more water/juice) but the question I have on this do I test the acid now or tomorrow?. The other primary will have in it soon, since they are still thawing will be a little over 6# blackberries, 9 1/2# blueberries and 3# elderberries, I plan on adding the grape/raspberry and grape concentrate to this as well. Am I adding enough concentrate or should I add more??? Any input would be welcome. Pics of my strawberry below

strawberrycarboy.jpg

stawberryglass.jpg

Sorry, just got home. And quick, order two more hydrometers before this one realizes it's all alone!!!!!!

I say you have enough concentrate in both batch's. did you taste them yet? I would test acid before you add the yeast but wait until tomorrow when the fruit has had a chance to mixed in with the juice.

LOL, and I'm laughing cuz I bought some Welch's peach/white grape today as well. I'm going to play around with a gallon jug of Peach Butter Wine. My mom use to make this awesome peach butter and I'm going to try and replicate that into a wine.

LOL,,,if you got them from Friendmens then it was before I got there, cuz I took all they had! Your peach butter sounds yummy, But question, I didn't add all the water to make 6 1/2 gals yet, wanted to wait a bit to check the sg, some of the peaches were still alittle frozen but put them in there with the pectic enzyme because they were starting to turn brown when thawing. Do I check acid before adding sugar?

I always check after adding sugar because the sugar will change that reading. LOL, got my at Walmart.

And I forgot, the strawberry is lookin good and I think that sg will be pretty good.

Back