Quantcast

What’s your longest EM?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

crushday

Grape juice artisan
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I’m wondering what your longest Tim V extended maceration is. Has anyone gone over 9 weeks? I want to see if there’s going to be problems if I go 10 weeks or longer.

Last edited:

pillswoj

Canadian Member
Reaction score
I have done some longer ones, My longest was the Passport 2 roads red which went 11 weeks ( I lost track of time) it turned out excellent. I try to target 8 weeks nut quite often end up at 9 weeks.

crushday

Grape juice artisan
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I have done some longer ones, My longest was the Passport 2 roads red which went 11 weeks ( I lost track of time) it turned out excellent. I try to target 8 weeks nut quite often end up at 9 weeks.
This is excellent news. When you're in EM, you're all sealed up and haven't applied K-Meta yet? Please advise.

pillswoj

Canadian Member
Reaction score
I seal up around 1 week, as soon as fermentation slows. From that point on just slosh the fermonster until the skins sink. I don't kmeta until I rack.
This is excellent news. When you're in EM, you're all sealed up and haven't applied K-Meta yet? Please advise.

crushday

Grape juice artisan
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I seal up around 1 week, as soon as fermentation slows. From that point on just slosh the fermonster until the skins sink. I don't kmeta until I rack.
Sounds very similar to my process. I'm going on vacation for a couple of weeks and I don't want to mess with it before I leave, but after I get home. Thanks!

jgmann67

Rennaisance Man
Reaction score
Sounds very similar to my process. I'm going on vacation for a couple of weeks and I don't want to mess with it before I leave, but after I get home. Thanks!
Right as long as your skins are sunk and your vessel is buttoned up, you should be fine.

I’ve only done 4-5 EMs so far, and have been contemplating a shorter EM (5 weeks instead of 8). But the EMs I’ve done at 8 have all turned out really well, I might not monkey with the process.

pillswoj

Canadian Member
Reaction score
In going back through my notes for George I did find one wine that I only did for 4 weeks, it was a Mosti All Juice Cab with a 4kg skin pack, (I was afraid of over extraction). It has fairly harsh tannins at this point (just over 1 year). I used one of the skin packs on the Passport Cab Franc - Merlot and went 8 weeks EM on it, it is already excellent at 9 months old. It seems the extra time does something but being different kits it is hard to say.

Short of one of us doing 2 of the same kit side by side with different EM times we will never be sure.

DriftlessDoc

Reaction score
4 months. I did a super Tuscan with skins, and then added two all grape packs and essentially forgot about it. When I opened the bucket to clean it out it seemed surprising clear on top so I tasted it and it’s incredible. So much body. Doubt I will wait that long again.

pillswoj

Canadian Member
Reaction score
4 months. I did a super Tuscan with skins, and then added two all grape packs and essentially forgot about it. When I opened the bucket to clean it out it seemed surprising clear on top so I tasted it and it’s incredible. So much body. Doubt I will wait that long again.
OK you win:br

crushday

Grape juice artisan
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
4 months - incredible. You’ve inspired me. My next rounds will include a longer EM.

DriftlessDoc

Reaction score
4 months - incredible. You’ve inspired me. My next rounds will include a longer EM.
It was a complete screw up but its incredibly smooth and just tons of body. There was barely any room in my primary, maybe a half inch to an inch of head space in a sealed bucket with an airlock. I've never done a MLF (will be doing one with my grape batch coming up) but wonder if some spontaneous MLF action took place. I really expected it to be an awful mess.

crushday

Grape juice artisan
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
You may have stumbled upon a great bold step in the world of kit wine. I assure you, I will purposely replicate your “screw up”. Any way I can buy a bottle of your “grape juice”?

Reaction score
I’d be willing to try this too. My EM is five weeks in now, I’m out of town for two more weeks, was planning on racking it a week after that, now wondering. I tried some this past weekend, and apart from being a little fizzy, it was remarkably clear and had some good body.

jbo_c

Reaction score
I did two kits for 3 months. Life just kept happening and I didn’t make time to rack them. They were still in the secondary bucket even. I just knew they were ruined, but they’re both fine. I don’t know that the extra time helped, but it didn’t hurt. They’re still bulk aging until I have time to filter and bottle.

Jbo

Latest posts