Other What’s Your Favorite Cab Kit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsbeckton

Reaction score
About to have an open carboy so looking for the next kit and would like to do a Cab. Have already done the WE Lodi Cab 2x and at least so far have not been too impressed after 2.5 years so want to try something else.

Any suggestions?

Thanks. Well I kinda like the WE SL Merlot so I have a few batches in the works but ha e heard good things about the Walla Walla

Try the RJS EP Australian Cab. Use some extra tannin in the fermentation and some Tannin Riche Extra during bulk aging. Let it age for a year in bulk, bottle and set yourself up with 6 - 375 taster bottles. Try it every few months. At 18-24 months, it’s a gem. At 30-36 months, I’d imagine it’s even better (mine didn’t last that long).

I'm interested in this one from Midwest:
https://www.midwestsupplies.com/sommelier-select-old-vine-cabernet-with-skins
Sommelier Select™ Old Vine Cabernet Sauvignon with Skins (6G) - Master Vintner™
"The oldest vines (between 60 and 80 years) produce fruit unlike any other. This Cabernet Sauvignon has stupefying levels of fruit and extract. The blackberry, blackcurrant and jammy notes give way to pepper, mint, cedar and black cherry. Dense and dark, with rock-ribbed tannins when young, it will round out to a smooth lustrous finish that goes on forever at its peak."

I have no clue what some of those terms are, like, "rock-ribbed tannins," but find the kit interesting in that it has skins and is around $40 less that the Eclipse and En Primeur cab kits.

I'm interested in this one from Midwest:
https://www.midwestsupplies.com/sommelier-select-old-vine-cabernet-with-skins
Sommelier Select[emoji769] Old Vine Cabernet Sauvignon with Skins (6G) - Master Vintner[emoji769]
"The oldest vines (between 60 and 80 years) produce fruit unlike any other. This Cabernet Sauvignon has stupefying levels of fruit and extract. The blackberry, blackcurrant and jammy notes give way to pepper, mint, cedar and black cherry. Dense and dark, with rock-ribbed tannins when young, it will round out to a smooth lustrous finish that goes on forever at its peak."

I have no clue what some of those terms are, like, "rock-ribbed tannins," but find the kit interesting in that it has skins and is around $40 less that the Eclipse and En Primeur cab kits.

Sounds interesting.

I would note that at $160 it’s more expensive than WE Eclipse from labelpeelers and RJS En Primeur from the unmentionable place down south (even with the free shipping).

Sounds interesting.

I would note that at $160 it’s more expensive than WE Eclipse from labelpeelers and RJS En Primeur from the unmentionable place down south (even with the free shipping).
On top of that, it's only a 16L kit vs. 18L for the Eclipse and En Primeur.

Back