What’s wrong with whipping to degas?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anyone able to confirm following statements?
1. Vacuum pumps for transferring & bottling wine will degas as a byproduct of intended use- allowing a product to claim it degasses wine.
2. If you DO decide to pull a vacuum solely to remove co2- running the pump continuously is NOT advised.
3. There is little to no risk of imploding carboys/lifelong PTSD when properly using an AIO or similar pumps.
* Transferring at a low vacuum as 5 inches Hg will degas the wine. Much of the magic in this is that fresh surface area is exposed so that gas is continuously pulled off, , this also is the magic of using a wine whip at ambient pressure.
* Using an AC pump it will eventually reach a point where mechanically it has reached its limit. At this point no mass is pulled out of the vessel/ the pump is just spinning. If one has a check valve they can maintain the state/ allow CO2 to come out slowly and save energy. , , Steve will point out that his head space eliminator is expected to hold a vacuum measured with the suction bulb about 2 weeks. The AC vacuum pump is designed to operate continuously when it is removing moisture from a new AC install.
* If we read posts in WMT we can collect a data set on risk. It seems to be less than 1 time out of 10,000. As with all risk, , (as breaking a carboy Swishing cleaner at the sink ) , , it exists so we should be careful. , , , ie I have broken more glass cleaning.

Last edited:
Quoting myself:

"It is well documented that low fermentation temperature, due to less vigorous fermentation, preserve wine flavor as less volatile compounds is lost. Applying vacuum seems less attractive to me for the very same reason, any thoughts on that?"

Just wandered through this thread and have one comment.

Pressure in inches-hg is not psi. Psi is roughly 1/2 inches-hg. IE 29 inches- hg is about 14.5psi.

Quoting myself:

"It is well documented that low fermentation temperature, due to less vigorous fermentation, preserve wine flavor as less volatile compounds is lost. Applying vacuum seems less attractive to me for the very same reason, any thoughts on that?"

Never heard that before. I think it’s less about the vacuum and more about co2 removal and o2 exposure when it comes to degassing.
1. Vacuum transferring while letting co2 dissipate over time is minimal time under vacuum. Body armor slowly removed and strong o2 tolerance formed by barrel aging or normal handling over time.
2. pulling Vacuum to remove all the co2 soon after AF =no body armor and delicate, easily affected by normal handling.
3. Degassing by manual agitation removes co2 but also takes on some o2 = no armor but but can better take an o2 punch.
But the vacuum itself I don’t think puts those compounds at risk. things like removing all co2 at once, zero or excessive o2 exposure, or filtering/fining agents theoretically could. Color compounds probably 1st casualties. But with medium quality fruit and an average joe palate all these differences might be minimal anyway. But could turn world class grapes into either good wine or great wine.

Keep in mind I’m just a carpenter- not a scientist. Just talkin shop here. Its all relative anyway. I think as long as the winemaker justifies decisions with logic then they aren’t ever wrong. Many times that logic is - “because it’s just a hobby, I’m comfortable doing it this way, and never had a problem doing it before.” Can’t argue with that.

Back