WEx Moscato Adding Mango Puree

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cwaters

Junior
Reaction score
I have been using wine expert kits for about a year with no tweaks. Now I want to add mango puree to a WE Moscato. My question is when do I add the puree? Also how can I sweeten this?

I would add it in the primary, take shrimp after adding the puree, if its not to your liking in the end product then back sweeten and add potassium sorbate so you won't get the refermentation. Ive done several kits with fruit in the primary, its subtle at the end, for more prominent flavor add a homemade f pack, there's instructions somewhere in here, also with real fruit, add pectic enzyme to destroy pectin or your wine will be hazy

I read how to make f pack, but instead can I add mango puree straight to the secondary if add a pectin enzyme? I want a prominent mango flavor.

If using puree, I agree, add at the beginning of fermentation along with pectic enzyme. Fruit solids form the majority of the gross lees, which you want to remove within a few weeks after the end of fermentation. Puree will have a lot of solids.

OTOH, when fermentation is first completed, stabilize with K-meta and sorbate, and add mango juice (commercial or your own made with a juicer), and pectic enzyme. In a week or so, degas and add the kieselsol/chitosan, and continue the process. Do not clear the wine until after you've added the juice, else you'll be doing it twice.

Or do both. There is no reason you can't add puree at the start of fermentation and juice once you've stabilized.

To backsweeten, there are several schools of thought. I prefer to sweeten the entire batch in small increments, tasting after each addition. Make a sugar syrup by boiling 1 part water and stirring in 2 parts table sugar. Stir until clear then cool to room temperature.

First stabilize the wine with K-meta and sorbate. K-meta is 1/4 tsp for 5/6 gallons Sorbate is typically 1/2 tsp per gallon, although read your package in case the dosage is different.

Now add the syrup, 1/4 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. Taste after each addition, and when you think it needs just a bit more, STOP.

If you're adding juice post-fermentation, I'd sweeten at the same time. If you didn't, you can sweeten just before bottling. DO NOT overdose with sorbate -- the flavor you get is not a good one.

I would add it in the primary, take shrimp after adding the puree, if its not to your liking in the end product then back sweeten and add potassium sorbate so you won't get the refermentation. Ive done several kits with fruit in the primary, its subtle at the end, for more prominent flavor add a homemade f pack, there's instructions somewhere in here, also with real fruit, add pectic enzyme to destroy pectin or your wine will be hazy
I'm not a fan of autocorrect, my post above should've said take spec gravity not shrimp, please don't make shrimp wine, yuk

I'm not a fan of autocorrect, my post above should've said take spec gravity not shrimp, please don't make shrimp wine, yuk
That is really funny...and gross 😝🤣🤣. One more question. Can I add puree to the primary and an f pack to the secondary? Sorry, I am new to this.

Can I add puree to the primary and an f pack to the secondary?
You're doing it right -- ask questions BEFORE you do stuff! It's a lot easier to point you in the right direction that fix a mistake. We get a lot of questions that start with, "I think I made a mistake ..."

The short answer is yes, you can add both puree and a flavoring (F-pack). Re-read my post above where I went into more detail.

Well, I wouldn't add puree to this wine kit you'll take away from the taste profile 😜, what you could do is add 1 cup of the puree in the secondary so that the mango is a background flavor.
If the kit came with a fpack its just a sweetner do it also in the secondary or not at all.

If you're interested island mist used to have a wine called mango Mai Tai, I loved it so much I made it twice. I added 1/3 of the f pack in the primary, stirred then added enough sugar to bring the spec gravity to 1.08 for a refreshing but not too boozy summer sipper. Then store the rest of the capped f pack in the fridge for the month and bring it out when the instructions call for it. It's sweet but if you add 1/3 to 1/2 f pack into the primary its not overwhelmingly sweet.

Latest posts

Back