Well this blows...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
off topic sorry

:ot:

Torch?.. I see you have a rosemary flower and carrot green wine.. have you tasted it yet?.. what's it like?

Allie

Here is a link to my log of it so far:
http://docs.google.com/View?id=dg55t38g_2cg7d5dg9

It tasted really good. Like a light rosemary syrup but I've only tried it twice in the real early stages. An experiment really, the carrot greens were not noticeable really but I think they made it a pretty healthy and strong ferment.

Thankyou!

I might try the same recipe and substitute parsley for the carrot greens..

Allie:hug

As far as the wheat issue goes, wouldn't I have a problem eating wheat bread too? Because I don't.

The issue has been going on for so long, I've stopped paying attention to what types of beverages I have a problem with. Over the next two weeks, I will test and document my reaction to drinking an assortment of drinks.

The couple of people I knew that had wheat allergies would only feel the effects from beer. Then when they removed wheat from their diet completely they found they just generally felt better then before, but nothing specific like with the beer. One guy I know started drinking only Bud Light because it's a rice beer...Let hope it doesn't come to that!

A lot of people are pointing to wheat allergies as a contributing factor to ADHD in kids. They are pointing at a lot of everything else too for what that's worth.

St Allie:
I've been looking at Luc's parsley wine recipe quite a bit too. I may have to give it a try!

One guy I know started drinking only Bud Light because it's a rice beer.

Very few rice beers are made anymore, and they mostly come from Japan as specialty products.

Bud light is a standard lager with very light hopping and some rice used to make the grain bill less expensive. It still uses plenty of barley. Wheat is only used in a few beers, so your friend is safe as long as he/she stays away from weizens (hefeweizen, dunkelweizen, weizenbock, etc...), wits, lambics, and some specialty microbrews that will may use wheat as part of their grain bill.

If the problem is related to the wheat used in making beer then it is usually the gluten contained in the wheat,

If gluten in the wheat is the problem then barley also needs to be avoided as it also contains gluten.

So says my brother who has problems with gluten containing grains. Only eats rice and corn.

If the problem is related to the wheat used in making beer then it is usually the gluten contained in the wheat,

If gluten in the wheat is the problem then barley also needs to be avoided as it also contains gluten.

So says my brother who has problems with gluten containing grains. Only eats rice and corn.

Good point. There has been work on home-brewing gluten-free beers, so there is hope if you have a gluten problem and still want to make beer.

Don't know about beer from corn.

I was in Panama with the Army a few years ago doing road improvement in the boonies.

A panamanian gave me a drink of what I later found was made from corn. I liked to spit that stuff clear across the road.

They got a good laugh and gave me a bunch of ripe bananas. Bananas were very good.

I just got back from vacation the other day. Punta Cana is pretty nice, especially compared to Philadelphia's 4' of snow. :)

While I was there, I drank quite a bit since it was an all-inclusive resort and the booze was flowing like water. I had no problem drinking margaritas, rum and cokes, (horrible) wine, and even a shot of mamajuana. The only beer that was at the resort was Presidente which tasted like Milwaukee's Best. I had no problem drinking a few of those as well. So all of that is encouraging.

My doctor's appointment was scheduled for today. I canceled it as I want to continue doing my own tests so that I can go in there with as much information as possible. I will continue this testing over the next few weeks. Last night I had a single bottle of a pumpkin beer I made a few months ago. If there was an feeling of malaise, etc. after drinking it, it was negligible. I feel fine today as well. I have a sour beer in the fridge I will drink at some point in the near future.

I'm now entertaining the possibility of the timing of my beer drinking. I'll see what happens when I drink consecutive nights vs. when I take a few nights off. On a full stomach vs. before a meal. What I do while/after I drink may be important too. I usually drink while laying down watching TV. It may sounds weird, but it may matter how the beer sits in my stomach. When I used to get heart burn badly, my doctor told me not to lay down within 30 minutes of drinking and that helped tremendously. Maybe I'm drinking too close to when I go to bed and am just suffering effects of dehydration as well.

Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted.

This is kinda a shot in the dark but you might want to start taking an acidophilus pill, or make a habit of eating live culture yogurt, kefir, and those types of thing. Having a big healthy batch of intestinal bugs can help as much as a big starter helps a ferment. Good luck!

I just got back from vacation the other day. Punta Cana is pretty nice, especially compared to Philadelphia's 4' of snow. :)

While I was there, I drank quite a bit since it was an all-inclusive resort and the booze was flowing like water. I had no problem drinking margaritas, rum and cokes, (horrible) wine, and even a shot of mamajuana. The only beer that was at the resort was Presidente which tasted like Milwaukee's Best. I had no problem drinking a few of those as well. So all of that is encouraging.

I went there about five years ago. It was a good time and we did a lot of snorkeling. Food was just ok..didn't care for goat meat. It sure was beautiful though. Some of the exposer on the beaches should have been covered up..:)

Torch: not a bad call. I randomly started eating yogurt again a couple weeks ago.

Had a sour beer last night. No noticeable issues. More testing to come...

Saturday evening I had a sour cherry imperial stout and a bottle of Rochefort 10 with no problems. Whether it's eating yogurt regularly or something else, it's awesome that I'm again able to enjoy quality beer/alcohol with no problems. :db

That's great news, Mike! I can imagine how hard it would be to enjoy a hobby but not really GET to enjoy it. Welcome back to the partakers party.

Mike,

As a chemist, I am encouraged at your entrepreneurial approach to experimentation to problem solving. Cheers!

Thanks for the support. If yogurt is the solution (still surprised that could be so!) hopefully this thread may prove helpful to someone experiencing a similar issue in the future. :h

Back